Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Joseph Dodd 1858 was born 1858

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 25 Jul 2015 21:00

John Joseph Dodd (sometimes Dod) born 18 February1858 at 2 Queen Street, St James, London (now called Denham Street) father (Michael) working as a Butler in Leatherhead Surrey on 1861 Census and mother also at an address in the same town.

It is though there might be some connection with people who owned Queen Street to this family is there anyway I can find out who was either living there or the owner in 1858 or on the 1861 Census or any of the years near to that date.

FMP lets you search 1911 b address but not the other ones

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Jul 2015 21:12

From FMP

2, Queen Street, St James, St James Westminster, London

Fanny Berry Head Unmarried Female 22 1839 - Potterne, Wiltshire, England
Rose Brown Visitor Unmarried Female 21 1840 - Lambeth, Surrey, England Transcription
Maria Aldridge Servant Married Female 30 1831 Servant Middlesex, England Transcription
Ann Leach Servant Unmarried Female 27 1834 Servant St Giles, Middlesex, England Transcription
Elizabeth Hitchinson Servant Widow Female 45 1816 Servant St Giles, Middlesex, England

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 25 Jul 2015 21:20

Hi Glitterbaby

Thank you that was quick I never seem to have much luck with FMP so my subscription has lapsed although I intend to join when they have the 1939 Registers available to search as I think that might solve a lot of queries.

I think I need some lessons on searching by address is it possible to let me know who was there on the 1851 and 1871 census, were there any land registers at that time which can be searched either on line or by going to the LMA which I could do.

alviegal

alviegal Report 25 Jul 2015 21:22

??? Are there two Queen Streets?

1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
2, Queen Street, St James, St James Westminster, London, England

Learn more
Print transcription View image
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Horation Nelson Bolton Chemist Assistant Unmarried Male 29 1832 Pharmaceutical Chemists Assistant Finchley, Middlesex, England
Transcription
Frederick Baden Benger Chemist Assistant Unmarried Male 21 1840 Pharmaceutical Chemists Assistant Cirencester, Gloucestershire, England
Transcription
Chas Hy Thompson Chemist Assistant Unmarried Male 23 1838 Pharmaceutical Chemists Assistant Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England
Transcription
Martin Mohun Chemist Assistant Unmarried Male 23 1838 Pharmaceutical Chemists Assistant Dorrington, Kent, England
Transcription
Daniel George Chemist Assistant Unmarried Male 22 1839 Chemists Assistant Welford, Glamorgan, Wales

alviegal

alviegal Report 25 Jul 2015 21:31

From googling.

Denman Street (FORMERLY QUEEN STREET)

Queen Street was laid out in the 1670's by Colonel Thomas Panton, whose petition of 1671 (see page 41) included a request for permission to build upon 'a parcell of Back Ground with about fourty-five foot of front' to the west side of Great Windmill Street between Conduit Court and Windmill (now Ham) Yard. (fn. 16) Queen Street is first mentioned by name in the ratebook for 1678. Strype described it in 1720 as 'a pretty neat, clean, and quiet Street, with good Houses, well inhabited'. (fn. 17)

In 1862 the Metropolitan Board of Works changed the name to Denman Street, presumably in commemoration of Dr. Thomas Denman (1733–1815), who had lived in a house on the south side of the street. One of Denman's daughters married Matthew Baillie, the nephew and heir of Dr. William Hunter, the founder of the school of anatomy in Great Windmill Street. Denman's eldest son was born in the house in Queen Street in 1779, and, as Lord Denman, was Lord Chief Justice from 1832 to 1850. (fn. 121)

No. 10 Queen Street was occupied by Queen Adelaide's Lying-in Hospital from 1837 until its removal in 1852 to Coventry Street, and subsequently to Dean Street. (fn. 122)

The Queen's Head public house, adjoining the Piccadilly Theatre, has existed under that name since at least 1738. The Devonshire Arms, at the south corner with Sherwood Street, has existed since at least 1793.

alviegal

alviegal Report 25 Jul 2015 21:32

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
2, Denman Street, St James Westminster, Westminster, London, England

Learn more
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Edward Oliver Head Married Male 57 1824 Lodging Housekeeper Middlesex, England
Transcription
Fanny Oliver Wife Married Female 59 1822 Lodging Housekeeper Wife Devon, England
Transcription
Charles P Oliver Son Single Male 20 1861 Artist On Glass Middlesex, England
Transcription
Samuel J Oliver Son Single Male 17 1864 Tailor Middlesex, England
Transcription
Hannah Oliver Daughter Single Female 26 1855 Dress Maker Middlesex, England
Transcription
Emma Oliver Daughter Single Female 22 1859 No Profession Middlesex, England
Transcription
Periolerd Ravounthio Lodger Married Male 54 1827 Servant (Dom) Greece
Transcription
Thdlia Ravounthio Lodger Married Female 39 1842 Servant Turkey
Transcription
Suluman Jaimbeg Hadji Lodger Single Male 32 1849 Colonel Turkey
Transcription
Joseph Embreg Lodger Single Male 33 1848 Hair Dresser Hungary
Transcription
Carl Jarosefo Lodger Single Male 29 1852 Hair Dresser Germany
Transcription
F C Koneeke Lodger Single Male 24 1857 Hair Dresser Germany

This is the household at no 2 in 1871.

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Denman Street, St James, Westminster, London, England

Learn more
Household Members
Edmd Oliver Head - Male 47 1824 - Middlesex, England
policeman superand?
Fanny Oliver Wife - Female 50 1821 - Devon, England
Transcription
Edmd Oliver Son - Male 19 1852 - Middlesex, England
tailor
Philip Oliver Son - Male 13 1858 - Middlesex, England
Transcription
Samuel Oliver Son - Male 7 1864 - Middlesex, England
Transcription
Emma Oliver Daughter - Female 14 1857 - Middlesex, England
Transcription
E Matthews Boarder - Male 25 1846 - Middlesex, England
clerk
James Matthews Boarder - Male 17 1854 - Middlesex, England
clerk

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 25 Jul 2015 21:42

Alviegal

That's strange the address came from John's birth certificate have just Googled the street and they are giving information on OLD Queen Street (an extremely expensive part of London) I cannot remember how or when I was given the information that it is now called Denham Street, none of these names from the addresses seem to connect with my ancestors however an old aunt seems to think that there is - quite intriguing.

Sorry if I don't reply again tonight will do so first thing in the morning - I must admit you GR members are great and so quick.

alviegal

alviegal Report 25 Jul 2015 22:09

The Queen Street I have posted in 1861 is between Bleinheim Street and Marlboro Mews.

The one posted by GlitterBaby is by Great Windmill Street.

alviegal

alviegal Report 25 Jul 2015 22:16

Ramillies Place and Ramillies Street

The only other streets of any consequence in the eastern part of Millfield were those now known as Ramillies Place and Ramillies Street. The former was previously called either Marlborough Mews or Blenheim Mews, and was renamed Ramillies Place in 1910. Ramillies Street was formerly known as Blenheim Street and received its present name in 1885. (fn. 111)

The level of Ramillies Place and Street is a few feet lower than that of Oxford Street, to which direct access on foot is obtained by short flights of steps. This difference is probably partly natural, but may have been emphasized by the use of this part of Millfield for digging brick earth (see page 250).

Marlborough Mews was built between 1704 and 1709 to provide stabling and coach-house accommodation for the houses in Great Marlborough Street. The stables on the south side were built on the northern ends of the plots of ground on the north side of Great Marlborough Street and were let with the houses fronting the latter. (fn. 112) The stables on the north side of the mews were sometimes let with the houses on the south side of Great Marlborough Street. (fn. 113) A description of one of these was probably typical of them all. Over a six-horse stable and coach-house was a hayloft and lodging-room; there was a common staircase and gallery leading to the latter. (fn. 114) Additional stable accommodation was provided by the Nag's Head stable yard, so called after an alehouse fronting the Tyburn Road (now Oxford Street); (fn. 115) the stables here were probably built by Benjamin Hopkins of St. James's, glazier, since the yard was occasionally referred to as Hopkins's stable yard. (fn. 114)

Blenheim Street was probably finished a little later than Great Marlborough Street, about 1710. William Ludb(e)y, of St. James's, carpenter, seems to have been responsible for much of the building. (fn. 116) In 1711 he also granted leases of houses on either side of Queen Street (now Hills Place) to George Devall of St. Andrew's, plumber; (fn. 117) Henry Sawkins of St. James's, carpenter; (fn. 118) Thomas Horseley of St. James's, painter or painter stainer; (fn. 119) John Ludb(e)y of St. James's, bricklayer, (fn. 120) and others.

The property on either side of Queen Street between Oxford Street and Marlborough Mews was part of the Pollen estate sold by Benjamin Pollen in 1732. It was purchased by William Hodsoll of the Strand, goldsmith. (fn. 121)

Another part of Millfield which was sold in 1732 lay between the land purchased by Hodsoll on the east and the Argyll estate on the west. Since 1709 this had been held by Stephen Whitaker, then described as a pipe-maker, (fn. 122) later as a brickmaker (fn. 123) and, when he purchased the freehold from Benjamin Pollen, as a gentleman. (fn. 124) Oxford Circus Avenue now covers this area.

So the Queens Street I posted is now known as Hills Place.

alviegal

alviegal Report 25 Jul 2015 22:29

In 1871, 2 Hills Place is not occupied but is described ???? in Oxford Street Bale?
No 4 is a warehouse belonging to Bale? Oxford St.

Perhaps they are both owned by a Mr Bale??

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 26 Jul 2015 07:49

Gosh you all have been busy could anyone help with the 1851 Census when it was still called Old Queen Street.

Thanks