Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Foster carers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 4 Aug 2015 14:44

I am trying to find information on foster care in the 1920/30's. My mother was fostered but we can't find any information about it. Does anyone know if they had lists of fostered children then?

Many thanks

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 4 Aug 2015 14:52

Contact social services for the relevant area.

However, I would think such info is probably very 'patchy'.......at best

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Aug 2015 16:27

It was much more likely to have been an informal arrangement although maybe something was organised through a solicitor rather than what we would call social services these days.

My grandmother died in 1931 just 6 weeks after giving birth to my youngest aunt. My grandfather made arrangements for the baby to be looked after by a friend of my grandmothers and we know that a letter was drawn up by a solicitor because my aunt still has the first page of the letter. Unfortunately she doesn't know what happened to the second page, which she would really like to see because the first page says that her father agrees to this friend bringing up the baby as long as she keeps her own name and the following conditions apply................the conditions must have been set out on the next missing page.

Neighbours often took in children for a variety of reasons in those days. It wasn't at all unusual.

Kath. x

Susan

Susan Report 4 Aug 2015 19:07

Many thanks