Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Certificate Mystery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 6 Aug 2015 09:02

Hi
I have a copy of a birth certificate which has a declaration added in the end margin.
Basically it is saying that the person named as the Father is to be OMITED, along with reference to his occupation. Has anyone else come across anything similar? I am trying to find a reason for such a declaration. I have contacted the GRO, but unfortunately they do not keep records going back that far, I am going back to the 1930s
Thanks
Debbie

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Aug 2015 09:10

It would seem the fathers info was given by the informant but later either the named father disputed paternity or it was proved he wasn't the dad so his name and occupation was to be ignored as the father

Perhaps the couple weren't married ,or, they were but she had the baby by another man

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Aug 2015 09:51

I have one where the registrar, having been told the fathers name, assumed that the mother was married to the father and had the same surname. The father was not present. The amendments were made by crossing out and a number. According to the local registry office the number refereed to the log that was kept.

It is likely that the notation on your certificate was made locally.

Debbie

Debbie Report 6 Aug 2015 11:57

Thank you for your replies,
I am wondering if it is possible to remove a Fathers name from a birth cert on any other grounds than just him not being the Father?
Debbie

Potty

Potty Report 6 Aug 2015 12:56

The local Register Office might still have the log of corrections.

malyon

malyon Report 6 Aug 2015 13:23

i dont think you can remove the fathers name you would have to have a dna to prove he is not the father

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Aug 2015 13:50

I think Malyon is right about DNA - but they didn't do DNA tests in the 30's, did they?
https://deedpolloffice.com/changing-your-name/changing-your-birth-certificate#remove-wrong-fathers-details

If you want to take it further then I would try the local office to see if they can shed light on it.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Aug 2015 14:51

I agree with Potty and nameslessone. The local office where the birth was registered should still have records going back much further than the 1930's.

Kath. x

Debbie

Debbie Report 6 Aug 2015 16:29

Hi Everyone
All pretty much what I have been thinking. I did contact the Register Office where the birth was originally registered, but they referred me to the GRO.I contacted them, but they told me that records of the paper work used to make the amendment had long gone.
As stated DNA not around in 1930s, correction it was around! but not as any kind of test!
Thank you all for your in put
Debbie

malyon

malyon Report 6 Aug 2015 22:47

i read some where that if the mother married again that if the husband adopted the child then it was possible that the real fathers name could be removed with his premission

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 7 Aug 2015 09:29

Who registered the birth, Debbie?

Was the 'father' married to the child's mother?

Debbie

Debbie Report 7 Aug 2015 15:36

Hi
I don't think adoption was an issue, so will rule that out.
The birth was registered by the Mother, the marriage is under scrutiny, but reading the birth cert you would say yes.
Debbie

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Aug 2015 17:16

Who made the declaration....and when?

Was it soon after the registration?

I only have a copy of one birth certificate showing a declaration.
In this case it states which day a correction was made, by whom and says ...'on production of a Statutory Declaration made by ( parents names) '

This was when the child was 13 years old.

Debbie

Debbie Report 7 Aug 2015 20:58

The amendment was made 5years after the birth. The mother had re married by this time I did wonder if she could have used desertion as the Father ended up going abroad. I think there is a similar thing for marriage, after a set time the marriage can be annulled?
Debbie

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 7 Aug 2015 21:10

A marriage is normally annulled only when it isn't consummated.....

Debbie

Debbie Report 7 Aug 2015 23:08

A mystery that will remain!
Thanks for help
Debbie

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Aug 2015 00:06

It sounds to me as if the child was born whilst the mother was married to her first husband - who was therefore assumed to be the father of the child (this was usually what was assumed). Perhaps the marriage broke up because it came to light that the child was not his and either the mother or her first husband (or even the second husband) made a declaration that the person named on the certificate was Not the father.

That's how I read it anyway.

Kath. x

Debbie

Debbie Report 8 Aug 2015 09:48

Hi Kath
That sounds the most plauseable explanation, thought it worth while to see there was anyone who may have some weird or wacky reason, you never know!
Debbie

mgnv

mgnv Report 8 Aug 2015 19:12

I have seen a Scottish b.cert where the hubby's name is crossed out, and the register of corrected entries says "paternity denied" (he'd been away fighting in the Western Desert for the two y preceding and the year following the birth).