Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Registering a birth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharon

Sharon Report 8 Aug 2015 17:28

Hi
Could anyone tell me how long you had to register a birth in the early 1930s was it 42days the same as now
Thank you sharon

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Aug 2015 17:42

Yes, that's right. There have been cases of late registration.

Of you can't find someone's birth reg, you may have to consider they were adopted into the family.

Sharon

Sharon Report 8 Aug 2015 17:59

Hi
Thank you
Sharon

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 Aug 2015 20:24

Or that birth you found in an area not known to you, could still be the one you are looking for.

This was how I discovered my g/grandfather came from Liverpool.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 9 Aug 2015 21:33

If a child was born in late December there's a very good chance it would be registered in the following year.
The register offices would be closed over the Christmas period.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Aug 2015 01:16

always a good idea to check the quarter after you think the child was born ................. as Mr Magoo says, the Register Office could be closed

OR the parents could have neglected to register the birth in the time period :-)

When that happened, some parents then lied about the date the child was born so they would not be penalised.

Have you also looked for Female xxxxxx or Male xxxxxx?

Quite a few parents will register a baby before they have a name, and then don't correct the registration.

There are even some who change the baby's name between registration and baptism, and don't make the correction.

Sharon

Sharon Report 10 Aug 2015 14:40

Hi everyone thank you
I am awaiting on a relative at the moment to get back to me with a birth date I understood that the person (I am going to send for birth certificate) was born in August but the birth was not registered till December. So will see what the relative says
Sharon

Kay????

Kay???? Report 10 Aug 2015 15:00

Its not always a late registration but often depended on when the register office closed their quarterly date by returns register to the General Registar of BDM,,,,,,,,,this can make a birth seem registered outside the 42 days of registration and appear in the next avaliable quarter.

Sharon

Sharon Report 10 Aug 2015 15:07

Thanks kay

Kuros

Kuros Report 13 Aug 2015 17:52

Just as a point of interest, my mother told me that, years ago, when there was not much work for the men and they could not afford to register the birth of a child, they left it until the last possible day which often meant in the quarter following the birth.

Annie

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Aug 2015 18:11

If the birth was on 20th August you would have until the 1st October to register it and that would indeed be the December quarter, so not a late registration unless the birth was in the first part of August.

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Aug 2015 10:49

It also ties to the laying in period after a birth

The mums had a 6 week lying in period after a birth before they went out into public again ,as it was often the mum who reg a birth then that was taken into account when the 42 day rule was introduced

Even in the 1950s when our daughters was born in was the norm to have your baby in hospital and be there for 14 days after the birth

When our brother was born in 1945,it was a. 21 day stay

lavender

lavender Report 19 Aug 2015 21:30

I was interested in your comment Detective, please.

That if you can't find a birth reg then there might be a possibility that the child has been adopted into the family? How does that work?

Many thanks. I'm interested because I can't find a birth reg and think this might be the case. :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Aug 2015 21:53

Lavender

If a child has been adopted into a family they will be known by whatever name the adoptive parents have given them.

Their birth record will be in their birth name, so unless you know the birth name of the adopted person (and most people don't) then you won't be able to find the birth registration.

Kath. x

lavender

lavender Report 19 Aug 2015 22:12

Thank you, Kath.

edit* I was wondering if there was a difference between 'adopted into the family' and adopted into a family'.

I have the adopted name and still can't find the birth certificate. I've come to the conclusion that having done so many Searches at GRO that possibly one wasn't investigated properly. It must happen. I was sent several that didn't have the correct details as I had requested, so I guess it must happen?