Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Inquests

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry

Barry Report 9 Aug 2015 18:41

Interested to know if any one has come across this......

While researching one of my ancestors i found in the local paper 1841 that a inquest one of many had been held in his pub.....was this common practice?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Aug 2015 19:18

I think by looking on Google that in those days the coroner was sent for whenever there was an unexpected death (either accident or natural causes or crime etc.) and the coroner would actually go to the place where the person was found, or somewhere close by. There probably wasn't a coroners office as there is these days.

Kath. x

Flip

Flip Report 9 Aug 2015 19:19

Yes, a thread I was looking at earlier about a pub had numerous inquests held there according to newspaper articles. And I've found others in the past.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Aug 2015 19:28

An inquest was held "on site" in those days, and in any place that had a room that could be used .............

this could be the church hall, a pub, or even someone's house.

In the very early days of the Coroner an inquest could be held in the open air or in a barn ............. close to the site of the death of the person

Barry

Barry Report 9 Aug 2015 22:45

thanks everyone