Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Record-keeping

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 21 Aug 2015 12:37

For the past fifteen years I have been using The Master Genealogist FH program. This served my needs but have just discovered that it has been discontinued. My current version (the original, I think!) won't run on Windows 8 so can't install it on new computer. I therefore want to buy a new FH program and am looking for recommendations. Also has anyone transferred from TMG to another software program? Thanks for any help and advice.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Aug 2015 13:01

This article makes some suggestions:

http://www.gouldgenealogy.com/2014/08/tmg-to-be-discontinued-what-should-i-do/
"As a supplier of all the major genealogy programs, and therefore having no vested interest in one above the other – we would suggest Family Historian may be the best way to go if/when you feel the need to switch. For a start its native data format is GEDCOM, which should maximise its ability to handle GEDCOM data export from TMG. Apart from that we consider it generally one of the most innovative and capable programs on the market. Other popular programs you can consider include Legacy, Rootsmagic, Family Tree Maker and even Reunion if you have a Mac computer."

I use Rootsmagic, and find it easy to use and able to print all sort of reports and documents. I did have to tweak a lot of the entries slightly when I first imported my tree to it by Gedcom.

(I have no experience of TMG. I imported my tree from GR.)

Mary

Mary Report 21 Aug 2015 13:43

Thank you very much for your helpful reply and suggestions. One of the advantages of using a much outdated version of TMG is that the bells and whistles are minimal so conversion to Gedcom should be simpler. I will follow up. Thank you.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Aug 2015 17:22

I use Family Historian and have probably only scratched the surface of its capabilities.

It can used in its basic form to record data, link images etc or in more depth to analyse, plot places etc etc.

It's popularity has given rise to a users group called FHUG. Users who are more technically minded enjoy writing enhancing programmes free to down load. They are also happy to help out with advice.

Mary

Mary Report 10 Sep 2015 11:05

Thank you very much for replying to my query about TMG. My apologies for the belated reply but I have not had access for a while. It seems as though Family Historian might be the way to go (the simplest way, anyway!) Thank you for your advice.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Sep 2015 11:17

Before you make a commitment, try out the free download for a month.
http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downloads/free-30-day-trial

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 10 Sep 2015 14:45

I've only just seen this thread but, like DetEcTive, I have Family Historian and find it a very good program. I've not really explored all its possibilities yet but you can do a lot with it or you can just use it to record your data.

It's a good idea to try the free trial first to see if you think you will get on with it before parting with the money.

Mary

Mary Report 10 Sep 2015 19:41

Will definitely use the free trial first. Thank you DetEctive and SuffolkVera.