Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage abroad

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 19 Sep 2015 13:31

hi
my great neice married abroad i assume she will have a marriage ceremony over here in england ? to register the marriage and if so could i find the info on this site?

regards and thanks Gill <3

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 19 Sep 2015 13:41

Why don't you ask her for a photocopy of the original?

Gillian

Gillian Report 19 Sep 2015 14:36

hi
thanks for reply i found out through a 3rd party of the marriage but unfortunately we have no contact with my neice
gill

Thelma

Thelma Report 19 Sep 2015 15:07

My grandson,who lives in England,is soon to be married in Cyprus.There will not be a British ceremony.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Sep 2015 15:51

As has already been said, an official marriage with certificate will be recognised in the UK.

As a rule of thumb, B,M&D aren't shown on the GRO indexes on-line after 2006.
If she and her husband married abroad as part of a marriage/holiday package, see if there a newspaper announcement in the area the UK where they live.

Also see if you can find her on facebook. Unless she has locked down the security very tightly you might be able to look at old posts. Some might say Happy Anniversary or similar.
You could also search for her parents as they may have her as a 'friend'. Don't forget to look for wedding photos they may have shared.

Gillian

Gillian Report 19 Sep 2015 17:52

hi
thanks for all replies and help regards Gill

Kay????

Kay???? Report 19 Sep 2015 20:09

What you need to do
You can create a record of your overseas marriage or civil partnership at any time after the ceremony. You need to get the original documents, or certified copies, issued by the foreign authority this is not an automatic process.
To create the record:
•your marriage or civil partnership must have taken place in one of the countries in the PDF linked below
•one of you must be a British citizen – only that person can apply to deposit the details
Only the consul for the district where the marriage took place can send the documentation to GRO, and GRO does not release original documents once deposited.
You receive confirmation when the documents have been deposited with GRO. Overseas marriages and civil partnerships are noted in the public indexes.

Its not automatic and a free choice to have it GRO indexed.