Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Exporting a GEDCOM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 29 Sep 2015 18:03

If I export the GEDCOM file of my tree, am I just exporting a copy? Does my original tree (with documents and photos etc) stay on the GR site for continued use?
Thanks
David J

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 Sep 2015 18:08

Yes, that's right.

Andrew

Andrew Report 29 Sep 2015 18:23

The GEDCOM is a copy of names places dates etc It won't transfer documents and photos and the like.

Andy

David

David Report 30 Sep 2015 09:38

Thanks Andrew, I just wanted to make sure that by exporting the GEDCOM it did not remove my tree and associated data from the GR site.
David J

Andrew

Andrew Report 30 Sep 2015 18:44

No. Its quite safe.

Andy

Inky1

Inky1 Report 1 Oct 2015 12:57

David,

Just a thought - and in case you did not know. The file you get is a data file (as indicated by Andrew) You cannot use it to print trees, etc. The file can of course be uploaded into another FH software. (There are a number of threads on this topic)

I download a .ged whenever I manage to add more than just one or two names to my GR tree.

If you want to see what the file looks like you can open it with Notepad, or any other text editor. And, if you happen to mess it up before closing it, just download another one.

David

David Report 1 Oct 2015 13:28

Thanks Inky1, useful note.
David J