Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Electoral Registers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Inky1

Inky1 Report 9 Oct 2015 12:10

Todays Friday Letter from FMP shows that they have loaded 100 years worth of registers for England, Ireland and part of Scotland.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Oct 2015 13:27

But they don't seem complete because I can't find either my mum and dad or both parents on it comes up with not found even doing a basic search

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Oct 2015 15:01

The registers only go up to 1932, so anyone who was born after about 1911 won't be old enough to be on an electoral register and most women didn't get the vote until after 1928 anyway.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Oct 2015 17:19

I tried to find someone who lived in Garston, Liverpool. No joy, not even someone with the same surname.

If anyone is interested, it was in connection with the George Percival and sister Edith thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1355353

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Oct 2015 17:59

My mum and dad married in 1929 so they should be in it

Also both sets of parents lived in the same area and they don't show either

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Oct 2015 18:06

I tried with a know name/area. Zilch, even with just a surname. I even tried Smith!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Oct 2015 21:30

I have found some of my ancestors in Wiltshire and County Durham (and found some addresses I didn't know they lived at which was a bonus) so perhaps there are only certain counties covered up to now.

Kath. x

Kay????

Kay???? Report 9 Oct 2015 21:44

Det,,,,,If you use just a surname and the keyword Lancashire,,,,,,Percival shows for Liverpool,,,,,you may get a blank area till the image loads,,,,Garston could be in any of the Liverpool entries,depending on a few factors...

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Oct 2015 09:36

Thank you Kay. If I have time, I'll try that. My 1 month for £1 expires today.

I did try surname and Kent for my own family. Their particular constituency wasn't there.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 10 Oct 2015 13:23

Now that I have tried for my own family.
A g3gf was in Blackburn 1841 & 1851 at the same address. So I tried for him. He died in 1860 leaving his house to his son (Not sure if property was a factor in voting in those days) My range was 1855 +/- 5yrs. Nothing
So I took off his forename. Nothing
In desperation I took out the year. 700+ hits. Page 1 at least was suspicious.
So I put his forename back in. 1 hit. For 2002-2014. Certainly not my chap/address.
So what year range of records have FMP actually loaded?

Perhaps others can check for recent years?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Oct 2015 13:42

Its supposed to be
England & Wales, Electoral Registers 1832-1932

They also list (which may have been loaded previously)
Britain, Absent Voters Lists 1918-1921
Somerset Electoral Registers, 1832-1914
Cheshire Electoral Registers
Scotland, Linlithgowshire (West Lothian), Electoral Registers 1864-[ runs out of space]

From my own experience and that which others had, they certainly haven't loaded all areas.

Bit of a damp squid :-0

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Oct 2015 13:45

Inky - select Electoral Rolls, then browse the sub-set and select
England & Wales, Electoral Registers 1832-1932

If you know the Constituency, you can further select that.

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Oct 2015 13:47

I've struck a bit lucky with my grandfather, and found him at the same address in 1912/13/14 as he was on the 1911 Grimsby, although the lady he was with was not named, it does explain one thing because he is showing as having changed his middle name from Edwin to Edward, the name he used when he married bigamously 10 years later. :-0

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 10 Oct 2015 14:04

I have found something very odd - if the lists are only to 1932.

On a listing indexed as 1922 I have found my parents, together. They didn't marry and move to this address until 1937, so I suspect it is a mis-indexed 1939 image.

I can't find anything similar for anyone else.