Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please about saving family trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan.

Jan. Report 31 Oct 2015 17:08

My computer needs to go and get mended on Monday. I'm trying to work out how to get my family trees from Family Tree Maker onto a flash drive.
I've got 6 family trees I want saving. Could someone tell me how to do it please?
I'm presuming that the flash drive is the best way of saving them - or is there a better way?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Oct 2015 18:29

I saved mine to a memory stick much easier to upload again

Jan.

Jan. Report 31 Oct 2015 18:57

Thanks Shirley. That's what I meant - I'm trying to save it to a memory stick and it's
not letting me. I don't know how to do it - ive forgotten.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Oct 2015 21:26

I have no personal experience of FTM, but a Google search found this:

"Can I back up my files to a flash drive?

Yes. To back up your tree to a flash drive, select “Backup” from the File menu. When the Backup window opens, select your flash drive from the “Removable media” drop-down list."

http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2011/03/22/family-tree-maker-question-and-answer/

That's dated 2011 - it may be out-of-date advice.

Jan.

Jan. Report 31 Oct 2015 22:45

Thanks very much ArgyllGran - I'll have a look at it tomorrow and get my tree saved.

Kense

Kense Report 1 Nov 2015 07:49

You need to ensure that your flash drive is big enough.

If FTM is synched to Ancestry and you have lots of records appended, the media files can take a lot of room. If that is the case though, you don't really need to back up as the information can be retrieved from Ancestry.

Jan.

Jan. Report 1 Nov 2015 12:05

Thanks again ArgyllGran - I managed to get one tree onto my flash driive, and will do the others later on.

Kense - thanks for advice about the flash drive being big enough.
That gives me another problem! There are some things already on my flash drive and I don't know how to delete them. Any ideas please? I've tried googling but I couldn't work out the instructions!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Nov 2015 12:16

Open the memory stick on your computer, to see what's on it.

On my computer, I would then click on one of the files I wanted to delete, to highlight it.
Then I would click on "Organise" on the bar at the top, and then "Delete" from the resulting drop-down list.

Maybe the terminology on your computer is slightly different, but in general, that should do it.
There will be a "delete" option somewhere, once you have highlighted the unwanted file.

Jan.

Jan. Report 1 Nov 2015 13:13

Thanks very much for your help ArgyllGran . I've just deleted all the unwanted files on it.