Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

London Gazette

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Nov 2015 12:32

Does anyone have access to articles in the London Gazette?

Will give the details if anyone can help. Thanks in advance.

Kath. x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 3 Nov 2015 12:45

Is it something you can't access via the Gazette website?

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Nov 2015 13:13

Hi MarieCeleste,

To be honest I have never used the Gazette Website and thought you would need a subscription.

I have just opened up my mother-in-law's 1939 Register record and there is what looks like (although I am not sure) a reference added to the record to do with something being in the London Gazette in 1943.

I'll use the link you have given and if I can't find anything I'll come back to you if that's o.k. I'm not too good on websites I'm not used to.

Kath. x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 3 Nov 2015 13:17

Hi Kath

I believe it's free because it relates to public notices.

By all means shout if you need help.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Nov 2015 13:19

I've just had a quick go and I only seem to be getting results from this year.

The record I am looking for is dated 5.10.1943 and refers to Lily Winifred Reay/Bell.

If you could have a look for me or point me in the right direction that would be great.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Nov 2015 13:23

Juat type Lily Winifred Reay/Bell - the Gazette into a search engine.

The top result is a PDF file (which I haven't opened)

[PDF]Save - The Gazette
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/36197/page/4422/data.pdf

NOTICE is hereby given that LILY WINIFRED. REAY of 14 Wiltshire Road, Brixton in the county of London a ... Bell in lieu of and in substitution for her present.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Nov 2015 13:25

Oh, What the heck!

NOTICE is hereby given that LILY WINIFRED
REAY of 14 Wiltshire Road, Brixton in the county
of London a natural born British subject intends after
the expiration of twenty-one days from the date of
publication of this notice to assume the surname of
Bell in lieu of and in substitution for her present
surname of Reay.
A. W. RHODES and CO., 31, Shoreditch High
(058) Street, London, E.I, Solicitors.

THE LONDON GAZETTE, 5 OCTOBER, 1943 Page 4422

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Nov 2015 13:31

Thanks so much to both of you. I was getting nowhere.

We knew that my in-laws hadn't married (only after many years of searching for their marriage when an elderly relative told us that they never had). My father-in-law had been married in 1926 and his wife took up with someone else whilst he was away in the army and divorce wasn't possible for them.

I just didn't expect to find a record of her changing her name. This date is just before my husband's brother was born, so I assume that was the reason. At least we now have a date that she changed her name. (They are all dead now so not breaching any privacy rules).

Thank you so much.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Nov 2015 13:34

The register was up date periodically, so that's probably why her name change is shown.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Nov 2015 11:21

Thanks again to both of you. My husband is pleased that we now know exactly when his mother changed her surname.

When we first realised that his parents were not married I think he was a bit shocked as they were a very old fashioned straight laced couple but now he's come to terms with that (and the fact that it was more common than he imagined) he is interested in anything I find, so thanks again.

Kath. x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Nov 2015 10:24

DetEcTive, thank you so much for suggesting using a search engine for The Gazette!!

The old Gazette website was easy to use and I found all sorts of things, but since the "improvements" it is far more difficult to get what you want. :-( :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Nov 2015 11:34

Glad it helped - sometimes it does, sometimes not.