Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leicester help please: BURDETT (BURDITT)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Genie21

Genie21 Report 12 Dec 2015 09:18

Hi there

If anybody is going to Wigston (LRO) in the next little while, please could I ask for help in identifying further information about this marriage - which may just have been solemnised in a (General) Baptist Chapel, - possibly Barton in the Beans - although not necessarily:

Marriages Dec 1840
BURDETT John Mt. Bosworth 15 309
CLARK Mary Mt. Bosworth 15 309

Am hoping to find that the bridegroom was a widower, aged mid-late 50s, and son of Job BURDETT, Baptist Minister, deceased
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, would be grateful for details about this person,please, who may have been the first wife of the above John BURDETT:

Deaths Dec 1857
Burdett Mary Leicester 7a 114

Many thanks for any help with this

Blanche Charles
Wellington / Kapiti Coast
New Zealand

malyon

malyon Report 12 Dec 2015 10:56

John Burdett
England Births and Christenings
Name John Burdett
Gender Male
Christening Date 28 Jan 1824
Christening Place SAPCOTE,LEICESTER,ENGLAND
Father's Name Job Burdett
Mother's Name Catharine

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Dec 2015 10:57

John Burdett

England and Wales Marriage Registration Index

Name John Burdett
Event Type Marriage
Registration Quarter Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year 1840
Registration District Market Bosworth
County Leicestershire
Event Place Market Bosworth, Leicestershire, England
Volume 15
Page 309
Line Number 138

John Burdett probably married one of the following people
Name Mary Clark

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Dec 2015 10:59

John Burdett

England Births and Christenings

Name John Burdett
Gender Male
Christening Date 28 Jan 1824
Christening Place SAPCOTE,LEICESTER,ENGLAND
Father's Name Job Burdett
Mother's Name Catharine

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Dec 2015 11:01

Mary Burdett

England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007

Name Mary Burdett
Event Type Death
Registration Quarter Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year 1857
Registration District Leicester
County Leicestershire
Event Place Leicester, Leicestershire, England
Volume 7A
Page 114
Line Number 19

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Dec 2015 11:02

??????????

Mary Burdett

England and Wales Census, 1841

Name Mary Burdett
Event Type Census
Event Date 1841
Event Place Market Bosworth, Leicestershire, England
Residence Note Carlton
Gender Female
Age 35-39
Age (Original) 35
Birth Year (Estimated) 1802-1806
Birthplace Leicestershire
Registration District Market Bosworth
Book Number 4
Parish Market Bosworth
County Leicestershire
Page Number 18
Registration Number HO107
Piece/Folio 602/6
Affiliate Record Type Household

Mary Burdett F 35-39 Leicestershire
Elizabeth Burdett F 13 Leicestershire
John Burdett M 10 Leicestershire

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Dec 2015 11:06

???????????

Job Burdett

Name Job Burdett
Event Type Census
Event Date 1841
Event Place Sapcote, Leicestershire, England
Residence Note Rectory
Gender Male
Age 60-64
Age (Original) 60
Birth Year (Estimated) 1777-1781
Birthplace Leicestershire
Registration District Hinckley
Book Number 1
Parish Sapcote
County Leicestershire
Page Number 19
Piece/Folio 603/12

Job Burdett M 60-64 Leicestershire
Frances Burdett F 50-54 Leicestershire
Elizabeth Hincks F 20-24 Leicestershire
Caroline Hincks F 15-19 Leicestershire
Sarah Hincks F 25-29 Leicestershire
Eliza Hincks F 15-19 Leicestershire
Anne Burdett F 5 Leicestershire
Catherine Hincks F 5 Leicestershire

malyon

malyon Report 12 Dec 2015 11:11

COPY PRINT SOURCE BOX SHARE
Attach to Family Tree
John Burdett
Name John Burdett
Event Type Census
Event Date 1841
Event Place St Margaret, Leicestershire, England
Residence Note Humberstone Road
Gender Male
Age 55-59
Age (Original) 55
Birth Year (Estimated) 1782-1786
Registration District Leicester
Book Number 7
Parish St Margaret
County Leicestershire
Page Number 5
Piece/Folio 604/27
HOUSEHOLD

ROLE

BIRTHPLACE

John Burdett M 55-59
Mary Burdett F 55-59 Leicestershire
John Burdett M 20-24 Leicestershire
Elizabeth Smith F 55-59 Leicestershire
John North M 15-19 Leicestershire

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Dec 2015 11:30

On the following thread, Blanche has said that “I am the page owner/creator of the English Midlands General Baptist site” so we can be fairly sure that she has the available census and gro references
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/782086

It might be worth contacting the Leicestershire Records Centre as they offer a look-up service. A ‘Contact Us’ link is on the catalogue page
http://record-office-catalogue.leics.gov.uk/calmview/Overview.aspx

Wigston Library hold PR (CoE?) records for
Arnesby, Billesdon, Fleckney, Foston, Kilby, Loseby, Mowsley, Peatling Magna, Peatling Parva, Saddington, Shearsby, Thurnby, Wigston Magna, Wistow and Newton Harcourt.

Their contact details
[email protected]

If you haven’t already asked, could the Leicestershire & Rutland FHS help?
http://lrfhs.org.uk/researchcentre.html

All venues are likely to charge for a look-up.

Genie21

Genie21 Report 12 Dec 2015 11:43

Thanks for going to all this trouble. I have the census entries for my John BURDETT (b in Derbyshire in 1783) till his death in 1868. He is buried in Welford Road and I have that information, too.

My query relates only to the specific matters I asked abou,t from the FreeBMD refs I provided: the marriage details (he married Mary SMITH) in Mkt Bosworth Registration District.

I am hoping that somebody may be able to find the details - marriage date, place, and marital status / age / father / occupation etc of groom and bride, as well as the details (burial place & age) of Mary BURDETT who died in 1857 (details provided from FreeBMD). She may be the wife in the above marriage as she died between 1851 & 1861 census, the entries for which I have.

(Job BURDETT, father of John BURDETT, died in Derbyshire in 1786, aged 28). This family were General Baptists so entries not found in C of E registers.

Thank you again for taking the trouble. I feel guilty that you have done all this duplication of effort!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Dec 2015 11:54

Blanche - you were specific in your opening post, so don't worry too much. We can all appreciate that you'd like to save a bit of money if you can!
'Helpers' will often post additional info they find, some of which is already known to the Poster, some could be 'new'.
ADDED - are you sure the Local Studies Centre actually hold the records, or are you making an assumption? The local Register Office (local branches of the GRO) won't allow searches of their records. There is a difference between the 2.
If no one is forthcoming, there are the obvious other options available - aside from contacting the local organisations and getting quotes, you can of course order the relevant M & D certs from the GRO.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
The DC for Mary won't give the burial info, but ought to show the name and occupation of her spouse.

Genie21

Genie21 Report 13 Dec 2015 02:23

Thanks for your feedback, DetEcTive. I will contact the Leicester Library, and may well reinstate my LFFHS membership which I've allowed to lapse, these past couple of years or so.

I was not certain, when I posted the above, where I thought the information is held - apart from Wigston (my husband's birthplace) which I know to be the home of the LRO. It is just that I had been reading a very interesting thread - granted, from about 10 years ago - where a contributor to this Board was offering to look up marriage details - from GRO index refs - next time he was in Wigston. I assumed that there may be a similar situation as with Derbyshire, where local groups transcribed & indexed registers from the Derby Register Office (as opposed to the Record Office). Whether or not those registers are housed in Wigston is another matter. I may well have jumped to the wrong conclusion. He may have been referring to the PRs you mention being held at Wigston Library. (Thank you for that information & contact detail!)

Meanwhile, I will probably have to purchase the marriage certificate, to verify (or otherwise!) the details. Unfortunately, I'm unlikely to find it in a Church Register if it was - as I suspect - performed in the General Baptist Church in Barton in the Beans, as those registers have not survived. (I have read the Mkt Bosworth [C of E] PRs on LDS films and it was not in that register. Of course it may have taken place in a different GB chapel within Mkt Bosworth Registration District, but no knowing which one. Certificate purchase will be easiest in the long run!)

As to the death entry of Mary BURDETT, it is not of utter importance, so will just note the timeframe and search further for a burial entry which equates with the year and qtr as well as with her age, according to her census entries The death / burial of John's first wife, Ann (nee BREEDON) is of more relevance given his remarriage so that search will take priority. (That marriage took place in Mkt Bosworth C of E in 1810, as was the law at that time).

This is not my direct line, John's mother being a sister of my 3x gt-grandfather, and his sister having married a brother of my 2x gt-grandfather, but I am trying to tidy up some loose ends. The non-survival of the Gen Baptist records makes it more difficult, so am having to push beyond the usual sources for verification, in most cases. (And you're right - the census & GRO records and indices are always my first port of call, along with PRs, when accessible from a distance).

Thank you again for your helpful suggestions.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Dec 2015 09:51

The records which were mentioned in the old Leicestershire thread were from Parish Records. There is a possibility that baptist chapel records have been scanned and held on fiche at local studies centres. However, as you already know the records from the most likely chapel haven't survived, the only alternative is the GRO copy.

I suspect the same would apply to the burial records unless Mary was included in the local CoE register. Would a local authority cemetery have opened by then? Not that the BR are particular informative. Name, age, residence - possibly only a town or area - and that's about it.

You probably already know about the non-conformist & non-parochial site, not that the names are coming up on a free search. Non survival is likely to be the explanation.
http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/

Genie21

Genie21 Report 13 Dec 2015 19:43

Thanks, Detective - yes, I have a subscription to The Genealogist, which hosts the Nonconformist records. And yes, the post-1812 burial records are somewhat limited in their information, but age and location are usually enough for verification. NC registers, however, did not necessarily mirror those of the Established Church and seemed to have no proscribed format, so there is a possibility that an entry could give marital status, as the old EC registers often did - eg "widow" or "wife of" for women.

At some time John Burdett - and also a cordwainer Norton uncle and family from Mkt Bosworth - moved to Leicester, presumably for employment reasons - so there is still a possibility that I may find the pre public cemetery burials in Friar Lane Baptist records, if they should have survived. (LRFHS has indexed Harvey Lane, and no luck there). Will keep looking.

It will be a great help to those of us in other parts of the world, if FMP or FamilySearch would digitise and host PRs for Leicestershire, as FMP has done for Staffs, and FS for Derbyshire (and Cornwall, Cheshire, Norfolk etc). Even browsable would be great. :-)