Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Merging relatives.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ANT66

ANT66 Report 29 Dec 2015 12:59

Hi,I have found many interfamily marriages in my family. Is it possible to merge people to show cousins marrying etc. on Genes. I did wonder how to merge a person this morning but seem to have to show that person twice in my tree at the moment. I had this problem a few years back which was one reason I stopped using genes at that time.Thanks.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Dec 2015 13:13

Click on Add Relative, then 'Find Existing'.

You may end up with duplicate entry as the person will be copied to form part of a new family.

It isn't possible to merge duplicates on this site where they are already created.
If you have an off-line tree programme, most are capable of doing that, but any subsequent gedcom upload will over-write everything on the original including attached records.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 29 Dec 2015 14:23

Very easy to do on FamilytreeMaker but not on this site. Another reason to have your tree on a program on your home computer. Besides which I wouldn't trust GR with my only copy of my family tree.

ANT66

ANT66 Report 29 Dec 2015 15:04

I was thinking of buying the family tree maker program for my home pc but after hearing they (ancestry) are soon to drop it I have been having other thoughts. I am a member of ancestry already.Someone told me that the family tree builder program is vastly superior to ancestry's online tree builder . If they would of kept it up It would of been my first port of call for my PC.
So far I have tried many of the big programs out there and don't really like any of them.My Heritage is the closest thing I have found which may just do it for me, but I don't like the price of joining so I won't be keeping it up for long.

I will try what you say DetEcTive.