Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish Garda...?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lrain

Lrain Report 18 Feb 2016 19:44

Hi all, My great grandpa was in the Irish Garda. He was born in 1894c and died 1959. Shankill Belfast. Where would I find details of service I have been told he was in the Army, but someone else said he wasn't he was in the Police.... Confusion.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Feb 2016 19:55

He would have been c20 when WW1 started, so he could have been both!

Over 70% of WW1 records were destroyed during WW2 bombing, but if he served in an Irish Regiment, they may still have them. Most of the medal cards have survived but may not have enough detail on them to identify the correct soldier.

This 'Might' help with the Garda records, but on the other hand may only relate to Eire post-partition.

http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=1711&Lang=1

How can I get old service records of a parent or grandparent who served in An Garda Síochána? Service Record details can be obtained from the Garda Museum and Archives Section, telephone +353 1 666 9998 or by e-mail to [email protected]. Many service records for the Royal Irish Constabulary and the Dublin Metropolitan Police are also available.

Its a place to start - they could probably point you in the right direction if he served in N Ireland.

Lrain

Lrain Report 18 Feb 2016 20:05

Thank you very much for the info.. all helps and points me in a good direction. :-)