Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to find out more about ancestor

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Scott

Scott Report 8 Jun 2017 16:27

I have details of my G.Grandmothers birth and death and her child but I don't really know much about her life. As all family who would have known my G.Grandmother are now dead i need to find other ways/records to find out as much as I can.
What kind of records and info can i use to find out about her, besides birth, death, marriage certificates and census returns?
She was born in 1891 so I am not sure what records would still survive. I think health records from a GP would not be available? She died in 1981.

malyon

malyon Report 8 Jun 2017 16:48

records of 1939 reg don't think there would be anymore records

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Jun 2017 17:26

Only bmds and census info are available online

Sometimes though googling a name will bring up newspapers articles or workhouse or criminal records

These may just be a record of applying for mainetenance that has gone to court or a minor offence

Personal info like doctors records ,even if they have survived ,are private and wouldn't be available

If she lived in the London area you may find her on the London electoral records which are online to c 1965

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Jun 2017 17:32

Depending on where she lived, you should be able to find historical electoral rolls between female emancipation in the 1920s, and when she died. Those that are on-line can be searched by name, but if you have to visit an archive to access them, they are filed by address.

Although they will tell you who else of voting age she lived with, the addresses themselves won't give you an idea of 'how' she lived. It would be worth searching on line for local history groups who may have published contemporary photos of the local streets, businesses etc.
Its always worth 'walking in her footsteps' using googlemaps. You may be luck and find some of her old homes still exist.

There is a market for historical maps which would show the housing density (or lack of it). eg http://www.cassinimaps.co.uk/shop/PrintedMapsClose.asp
You might spot landmarks which are still in use.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Jun 2017 17:44

Medical records are highly unlikely to still exist after so long.

If by some chance they did, and if you knew which hospital or GP practice your gr-grandmother attended, you could apply to see them. Some hospitals / GPs might copy them for you, for a fee.

Instructions here:

https://tinyurl.com/pz2g76a

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Jun 2017 22:31

School records might be available.

They may, or may not mention her by name, but they make interesting reading regarding what was deemed important at that time.
You might read about weather conditions, illnesses or other local factors influencing attendance.