Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can't find birth or marriage record???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 12 Aug 2017 14:01

I have a female born in Scotland in June 1958 who married between June and December 1978 but I cannot find a record of either event. Can anyone suggest something else I could try to find her?

Her husband was born Jan 6th 1959 and has since previously admitted that she was 20 and he was 19 which is why I know which year they married.

Next year is their Ruby wedding and we are planning a surprise for them hence the reason I can't just come out and ask them. It is the marriage month I'm most interested in as I know the date but not the month. I was simply using the birth to confirm the spelling of her name.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Aug 2017 15:22

You need the Scotlandspeople website. Is this where you looked for the birth and marriage?

Kath. x

Tawny

Tawny Report 12 Aug 2017 15:25

Thank you for replying. Scotlands people is where I looked. I'll try again and add more variants and see what I get.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Aug 2017 15:56

Do you by any chance know who was their chief bridesmaid or best man? If so you could try getting in touch with them as they might remember the date of the wedding.

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Aug 2017 17:10

Are you sure they married in Scotland

Tawny

Tawny Report 12 Aug 2017 17:23

Positive they married in Scotland. They married here in 'sunny' Edinburgh. I know where her sister works so I might see if I can talk to her.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Aug 2017 18:42

If you'd like to PM me their names, I'll have a look.
Sometimes a different pair of eyes can help!

Tawny

Tawny Report 12 Aug 2017 20:11

Thank you for the offer Argyllgran I finally located the marriage. The groom was using his mothers maiden name when he married and yet they are now known as Mr and Mrs fathers name.

Tawny