Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Separating trees?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jul 2024 13:54

Hoping I'm not asking a stupid question here but I've just started my family tree and waded straight in without thinking about it- adding lots of details but now I'm wishing I had done my mom's family as a separate tree to my dad's.

Is there any way I can separate them without having to restart a new tree and manually adding all the info and then deleting them from the other tree?

Hope this makes sense and thank ypu for the help.

Tina

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Jul 2024 15:10

Welcome to the boards.

You need to be clear which site you are using. I think on here you canon,y have one tree per sub or free membership.

It is always worth having an offline tree as a backup.

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jul 2024 16:31

Hi thanks for your reply but I'm a little confused as 'what site I'm using' as I just assumed that as I was posting via Genes Reunited that these threads were ALL in reference to GenesReunited. Can you please advise what you mean by sites? Thank you for your advise regarding having an offline tree for back up but I have no idea how to do that - this is all very new to me. Any help much appreciated

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jul 2024 16:33

Hi thanks for your reply but I'm a little confused as 'what site I'm using' as I just assumed that as I was posting via Genes Reunited that these threads were ALL in reference to GenesReunited. Can you please advise what you mean by sites? Thank you for your advise regarding having an offline tree for back up but I have no idea how to do that - this is all very new to me. Any help much appreciated

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Jul 2024 17:44

Yes, you are right but now and again people are asking about about trees on sites like Ancestry.
Many questions are asked on here about Ancestry, Find my Past and My Heritage - it is often easier to ask the question on here than find out how to ask directly.

There are several ways of having off line trees, using software such as Family Tree Maker, Family Historian and Roots magic. By googling you should find some free sites., I think Legacy is one. You can then export your tree by Gedcom.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Jul 2024 17:47

As your parents are both inextricably linked to you, I’m not sure what benefit there would be in having separate trees for them

I would suggest that the norm on GR is for the tree to be ‘yours’, with all entries being people who are your relatives - however distant.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Jul 2024 18:24

I have a tiny tree on here, a slightly different one on Ancestry. My main tree is on Family Tree Maker.

I have 2 trees on my father’s side and one on my mother’s. I have 2 for my OH - that is North versus south.

I find it much easier to work them all separately. Obviously I am on all of them.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Jul 2024 19:25

Everyone must work in a way which suits them best ;-) ;-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jul 2024 20:16

@ErikaH

Thank you for replying. The reason I wanted to do 2 trees was because I wanted to just share the one side of the tree (e.g. my dads side) with his family as my mothers side would be of no interest to them all and vice versa with my moms side. I would also find it easier working with just one at a time.

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jul 2024 20:21

@Nameslessone
thank you again for your informative reply - I will definitely google some free tree software and do as you suggest. I also would find it easier to work on separate sides of the family. I also don't want to be boring one side of the family with relatives that are of no relevance to them - hence my interest in doing 2 separate trees with myself as the root. Thank you again

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Jul 2024 20:32

You can certainly have two trees on GR - but as Nameslessone mentioned, you'll have to register again (don't pay a sub for the free registration) in order to have the second tree.

Only one tree per registration or membership.

And I'm afraid there's no way to divide your present tree into two. You'll just have to make the second tree from scratch.

You can't delete people from a tree on GR if they have children, spouses, etc still on the tree. It would have to be done in a particular order, by trial and error.

It will probably be easier (though not easy!) to build the two new trees both from scratch, on new registrations, and then delete your present tree.

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jul 2024 23:05

@argyllGran many thanks for your information. :-)