Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I remove matches against my name?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Sep 2024 10:13

There are 12 entries of which 6 are not my birthplace! Solutions gratefully accepted

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Sep 2024 10:38

Not quite sure what you mean. Have you looked for yourself and found 12 other people of the same name and year of birth? Not so unusual.

Looking at my own tree pedigree I have over 1400 matches for one ancestor. I know most of these will be non relatives from Scotland ( we are not Scottish).
The old and now defunct Hot Matches used to really annoy me with these.

Also remember that Genes is still using old software and is not too intuitive.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Sep 2024 11:33

Contact support and hope for a reply in under a year

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Sep 2024 11:51

Unless you know the people who have posted the names and they are on your tree and have entered incorrect details for you, the so called matches are likely to be entirely different people, who just happen to be born in the same year.

As namelessone says, that is not so unusual if your name combination is not uncommon.

You have not mentioned a birthplace, so some people totally unconnected may write to you asking if you have a match, as they seek to investigate whether or not there is a link to their tree.

I have done the same with people who have posted 'Daniel Davies' born in Wales. As you can imagine, there are quite a few possibilities there.......

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Sep 2024 12:51

Poster’s name is by no means unusual

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Sep 2024 13:12

"Hot Matches" can be deleted, but "Tree matches" (in the purple star beside your name in your tree) can't.
Just ignore them - they're usually wrong, in any case.