Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

East India Company

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisB

ChrisB Report 18 Sep 2024 15:27

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I believe my great great grandfather would have received pension from above as he held various positions in India including conductor.(1830s to 1840s)
I can’t think he ever received one because later in life he was in and out of workhouse.
However his wife who he married in India, remained there and was obviously a woman of means. Could she have received his Pension?
I have found it difficult to find out much about East India Company and how it works.
Thankyou

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Sep 2024 15:32

Welcome to Genes and the boards.

EIC papers will be in the British Library.

You could try FIBIS for general information on British families in India.

Ancestry appears to have a register of employees 1746-1939

ChrisB

ChrisB Report 18 Sep 2024 21:39

Thankyou for replying.

I will follow up on your advice.

I found information on Ancestry which was very useful but i have a lot of gaps to fill in. More questions than answers!!!