Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where and when was he born

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Huia

Huia Report 15 Jul 2007 21:15

What was the date of the last baptism? Could the surname have been spelt Ray or some other way on his death if it was reg after June 1837?

Chief Cook And Bottle Washer

Chief Cook And Bottle Washer Report 15 Jul 2007 21:16

Im looking for JOHN REAY ??? born 1780-95 ish He was married to Elizabeth and lived in Shincliffe ( I presume he was a miner as this was a mining village) I have only found him on his childrens baptism certificates he wasnt on the 1841 census and elizabeth had remarried in 1851 ( thanks to everyone who helped with that puzzle) So i presume he had died......or she was 'living in sin' with the new man However I cant find where JOHN came from ,nor do any of the deaths that are available seem to tie up I cant find him on any mining disasters Was there any wars at that time he may have gone to? Is he a figment of my imagination !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? Any help needed Thanks Chris

Heather

Heather Report 15 Jul 2007 21:18

The first thing that strikes me is this sounds like an Irish name - oh dear. Try looking through the village and surrounding area for anyone with the same name. You should try variations such as Raey and Ray.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Jul 2007 21:21

There are three John Reay deaths in the 1850's in the Durham registration district (which covers Shincliffe) although I know you were expecting him to be dead by them. Incidentally, my mother-in-law was a Reay from Hartlepool if you come across any of your relatives in that area. Kath. x

Chief Cook And Bottle Washer Report 15 Jul 2007 21:27

Last baptism was |Betsy ann reay in 1836. She appears in 1851 census in Hartlepool as Betsey Ann Murray ( her mother Elizabeth by now had the surname Murrey, so I persume that Betsy had taken her stepfathers name, However I cant find him) But its JOHN REAY im interested in, Hes on the kids Baptism cetificates ( according to IGI) I have always presumed that REAY was Scottish by decent, But I supose it could be irish Its so frustrating!!! there are 3 branched of my family at this and we have all come to a halt with John I know Elizabeth was born in whitby, but how do I get their marriage certificate if I can even find JOHN AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Heather

Heather Report 15 Jul 2007 22:08

So have you tried finding any one with that name/variations of on the IGI? Have you tried looking in Scotland for a baptism/marriage? Well, you wont get a marriage cert if they married prior to 1837, the best you can hope for is the register entry. Theres a few Reays marrying in Durham/Northumberland on the IGI, I guess you have checked out them? I guess this one is too late? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- JOHN FENWICK REAY Pedigree Male Family -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: Christening: Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages: Spouse: ELIZABETH CHARLTON Family Marriage: 18 APR 1839 Gateshead, Durham, England

Chief Cook And Bottle Washer Report 4 May 2012 12:53

Still having problems with this one. still no further forward. however have found a possible marriage for a john Reay and Elizabeth in loftus in 1819. It may be them, but no parish register to check. I always thought REAY was going to be easy.... no hopes
having more sucess tracing my mothers side of the family however her father was illigit and no dad on the certificate!! :-(

Janet

Janet Report 4 May 2012 13:30

John Reay m Elizabeth Turnbull 8th June 1829 Newcastle upon Tyne . -jl

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 May 2012 13:48

Possibles?

REAY, John Marriage
Wife: Elizabeth TURNBULL
Marriage Date: 8 Jun 1829 Recorded in: Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England
Collection: St Nicholas
Source: FHL Film Dates: 1780 - 1849

Or:

REAY, John Marriage
Wife: Elizabeth YATES
Marriage Date: 26 Feb 1820 Recorded in: Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England
Collection: All Saints
Source: FHL Film 1068967 Dates: 1801 - 1833

safc

safc Report 4 May 2012 13:52

????

Groom's Name: John Reay
Groom's Birth Date:
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age:
Bride's Name: Elizabeth Barker
Bride's Birth Date:
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age:
Marriage Date: 18 Aug 1816
Marriage Place: Loftus,York,England
Groom's Father's Name:
Groom's Mother's Name:
Bride's Father's Name:
Bride's Mother's Name:
Groom's Race:
Groom's Marital Status:
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status:
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M10551-1
System Origin: England-ODM
Source Film Number: 919067
Reference Number:

Janet

Janet Report 4 May 2012 14:11

Just a bit of speculation
1841 Thomas Reay aged 34 at Shincliffe Hall- Blacksmith + family
Eldest son called Robert Reay born. 1832

Children of John Reay and Elizabeth
Hannah bapt 31 Jan 1831 Shincliffe
Robert born 17 Jan 1832 bapt 2 Jan 1839 Shincliffe ( appears on 1851)
Betsy Ann Reay bapt 20 sept 1836 Shincliffe -jl