Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Annals of Old Ropley !929 - looking for source boo

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 27 Jun 2007 22:30

I have just bought this book which has many references to my 5x grt Grandfather William Faichen first schoolmaster of the village school and Samuel Maddocks who was the Vicar of Ropley for many years in the 1800's . Many of the stories were originally recorded either by Samuel Maddocks or hiswife. It set me wondering if any of the original material survived and if so how I can set about finding it. William died in 1830 and Samuel in 1878. ANY IDEAS PLEASE? Alice

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Jun 2007 22:43

Maybe HRO in Winchester would have some idea of where you might search? How great to have your family mentioned in such an interesting way. Gwyn

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Jun 2007 23:04

Have you tried the Alton library? Rose

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 27 Jun 2007 23:34

Thanks for your replies. I have tried the records office but no joy - however something may come to light later if and whwn their recors become better indexed and easier to search. Never thought of Alton library - will try ringing them. Alice

Richard

Richard Report 28 Jun 2007 19:23

My 5xg grandfather, Henry 'Hayling' Budd of Lyeway Farm is mentioned in that book Alice..he's the one whose dogs were allegedly bewitched by 'Thorpe' the wizard! Be interested if you do find the source materials..

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 28 Jun 2007 19:33

hi Richard EWill have to go and read that bit! I will let you know if I find anyone.... Wonder if our rellies knew each other? It is fascinating background info for anyone one with ancestors in the village. Most of it is on the internet but lovely to have the old copy too. Maybe someone on genes is connected to the Maddocks line... Thank you for replying Alice

Richard

Richard Report 28 Jun 2007 19:43

http://www.ropleyvds.co.uk/annals/html/the_village_chronometer.html

There's the link to the story there, on the online version, however far fetched it may sound. Bizarrely this Thorpe seems to have had a habit of sleeping in his oven, until he was found dead in there!

Most of my dads family are from that area, Budds, Simpsons, Pinks, Morgans, Trimmers, and Maslins, amongst others. So if not actually related somewhere sure they did know eachother, the population of the village, though big for that time, was nevertheless still fairly small, about 700 people at most, mid 1800's.

Paul

Paul Report 23 Apr 2008 23:08

As mentioned in a previous post the whole book written by Marianna Sagen is online at www.ropleyvds.co.uk.

William Barnard was the brother of my GG Grandfather Thomas Barnard. William Barnard gets 2 mentions in the book. He was owner of the Chequers Pub when a dead body gets brought in and he also was on the committee helping to restore the old church. My Barnard ancestors go back hundreds of years in Ropley but I have only got back to 1801 with any certainty.