Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Google for misc things...updated

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 24 Jun 2007 18:21

Living in California, born in Canada, English and Irish ancestors - researching is difficult from here. I 'google' constantly, trying to find records I haven't seen before and looking for records recently added to websites....Last night I found my ancestor's possible church and I sent an email.....They MAY be able to help me confirm his birth!!!!! (He was born c1811 in Ireland)....Even though I've googled that surname before, I only found the church last night....My tip is to continue to google (or whatever search engine you use) your surnames and other interests as new information, records and sites are constantly added!

Update: I tried googling again tonight (ancestor's name, town and country) and found more information about my ancestor (see latest post below, please)!

Daniel

Daniel Report 24 Jun 2007 18:26

Hi Lisa. When you say you googled and came up with a possible church for your irish rellie, how exactly did you come up with that church? Danny

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 24 Jun 2007 18:30

Hi Danny: I googled the surname and where we believe he was born and discovered the parish's church. I've googled that information before quite often and never saw the church so I'm guessing the site might be fairly new (within a year). PS Perhaps they don't usually offer to help, but did knowing that I am living in California? Also, he did say he would have to wait until the rector returned from holidays, but at least he replied!

Daniel

Daniel Report 24 Jun 2007 18:37

I reckon its worth a shot for mine then. Cheers lisa. Danny

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 24 Jun 2007 18:41

Danny, I've found so much through googling odd combinations! I sit at night, trying every variation I can think of and have been somewhat successful (with the English side). Best of luck with your search, eh? PS About two years ago a GR member googled and he was the one who actually found out my family may have lived in that parish! (It's a long story, but we are almost certain it's my family.)

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 24 Jun 2007 23:13

Hi Lisa. Do you have dates of birth? I can look on Ancestry later - I am doing a lookup for someone else right now, but I'd be happy to look later for you, if you like? As far as google searches, you might try his name, where he was born if you know, and do various searches using people in his family, also, I've tried using their occupation as well. (Example, one parent name, then the next search, the other parent, sibling, etc.)

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 24 Jun 2007 23:37

Gosh , Lisa --Irish birth early1800`s --I`m trying to find my greatgrandmother born about 1860`s in Ireland and having difficulty but hopefully someone will do me a lookup on the census soon , Ros

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 25 Jun 2007 00:10

Lisa (Stubbs!) No help in your present search, but one of the best results I have ever had by googling, was on the Stubbs family! I was looking for the death of a boring old ag lab.....to my astonishment I found that he had disappeared from the area, not because he had died, but because he had been left a fortune by an unmarried uncle, and had gone to the Turks and Caicos Islands to claim his inheritance! OC

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 27 Apr 2008 01:29

"History of Toronto and County of York, Ontario"
"James Mumford, proprietor of the Baldwin Street Market, known as No. 1 Baldwin Street, first established on Yonge Street in 1857, and moved to his present location in 1880. He runs two waggons, and keeps a constant supply of fresh and salt meats, poultry and vegetables in season. He kills small stock, cures his own hams and bacon, and manufactures sausages."

While I knew he was a butcher, knew where his shops were, and guessed at the dates...this information confirms what I thought and it makes his life a little more personal. :) I only found the information by googling, again. :)

PS I just searched for another ancestor in the book and found:
George Ibbotson & Son, manufacturers of cutlery, 12 Francis Street, started business in 1868. Three men are employed. Mr. Ibbotson learned his trade in Sheffield, England, and came to Toronto in 1862."

I now know when he arrived in Canada. :)))