Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Flash, Staffordshire?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 7 Jun 2007 14:44

Yes, there's a Flash in Staffs. Its a few miles south west of Buxton (Derbyshire) Anne

Kate

Kate Report 7 Jun 2007 14:47

Has anyone heard of such a place? I have found an ancestor living with his mother, sister and a nephew in 1851 but I am baffled as to where the nephew was born. The census image seems to say 'Flash' but I may be wrong. The reference for the page is this - Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2049; Folio: 170; Page: 12; GSU roll: 87459. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kate

Kate Report 7 Jun 2007 14:57

I didn't know that, thank you, Anne. I almost thought it was a mistranscription.

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 7 Jun 2007 15:04

I have ancestors from Flash. It's in Derbyshire but on the boarder of Three Shires Head (where 3 counties meet up) http://www.visitderbyshire(.)co(.)uk/towns-85.ihtml Sheila

Kate

Kate Report 7 Jun 2007 15:07

Thanks, Sheila. I suppose it might have been in Staffordshire then (or thought to be in Staffordshire) if it is near a county boundary.

Kate

Kate Report 7 Jun 2007 15:08

Sadly my person is not being kind and appearing in the census with that birthplace - yet. I remember now, there is another relation in my tree whose birthplace was given as 'Prass' in Derbyshire. I wonder if it's Flash misheard or something.

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 7 Jun 2007 15:10

Kate My cousin had great problems with the Flash area when he started out 20 years ago. Parish records can come out in any of the three counties but usually Derbyshire. Sheila

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 7 Jun 2007 15:24

Mine were from Leek and Flash (lol that sounds good!) so the only thing I can think of is to check out a map for surrounding villages just incase the registration district shows up different from the actual place of birth. Sheila

Kate

Kate Report 7 Jun 2007 15:40

That's a good idea. I sometimes use the AA online route finder as well, just to get an idea of distances.

Clive

Clive Report 7 Jun 2007 15:49

The village of Flash on the east side of the township is the highest in England, its school standing at 1,526 ft. (465 m.). Oliver Hill north of Flash rises to 1,684 ft. (513 m.) and is the highest point in Staffordshire. South of Flash the land falls to 1,261 ft. (383 m.) near Flash Bottom, and Manor Farm on the western boundary stands at 870 ft. (265 m.). Goldsitch Moss, in the south part of the township, is an area of flatter ground, lying at 1,170 ft. (356 m.) at its centre. The land rises again in the west, reaching 1,310 ft. (398 m.) on Gradbach Hill. The underlying rock is sandstone of the Millstone Grit series, which outcrops in the north part of the township at Turn Edge, Wolf Edge, and Drystone Edge. There are shallow Coal Measures in the north-west corner of the township and at Goldsitch Moss. The soil is poor-quality clay and loam, and there are patches of peat. (fn. 76) By Clive - It is not clear to me whether Flash is in Alstonefield or Quarnford Poor Law Union (same as registration) district. Fancy not knowing the village is the highest in England! giggle Clive

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 7 Jun 2007 15:58

My family were the Oliver's so I knew about the hill lol :))

Sally

Sally Report 16 Feb 2016 22:47

I always use Google maps to see where places are

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 16 Feb 2016 23:04

Sally, although google maps started in 2005 it probably wasn't very widely used when these posts were made nearly 9 years ago!

brigid

brigid Report 19 Feb 2016 07:21

just to add some trivia ; I remember that Flash was the nearest village to where a colony of wild wallabies lived in the 70's ...not that I ever spotted them myself does that come up on google searches ?

brigid

brigid Report 19 Feb 2016 07:21

just to add some trivia ; I remember that Flash was the nearest village to where a colony of wild wallabies lived in the 70's ...not that I ever spotted them myself does that come up on google searches ?