Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Website... Photos Exchange

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dizzy

Dizzy Report 24 Apr 2007 00:12

After seeing a message thread on Genes reunited about people volunteering to take photos in their home area for other genealogists we thought it would be a 'good idea' to set up an on line database of volunteers etc.

Dizzy

Dizzy Report 24 Apr 2007 00:12

The thread had 225 replies in 2 years so it was a wonderful resource but almost impossible to search through! Robert and I spent all of Sunday setting up the website & Database and replying to emails and message on GR. The website went live last night and already has 63 volunteers covering many counties of the UK and Australia so far!!! If you would like to take part in this project and are willing to take digital photos of churches, schools, pubs, houses, headstones etc in and around your home town (as requested) please go to the website and fill in your details, you can do as much or as little as you want. For Example I have volunteered to take photos in Folkestone and surrounding areas within a week. Some people have offered only weekends or infrequent visits etc If you volunteer your email address will not be visible on the website. It will only be visible to those people that that you reply to who have contacted you for a request, eliminating the risk of SPAM. If you do not wish to volunteer you may want to take advantage of others offers of photos. Please have a look at the website. If you like the website please pass on the URL to your other genealogy contacts. http://www.photoexchange.ourgenealogy.co.uk Diane http://www.ourgenealogy.co.uk

Liz

Liz Report 24 Apr 2007 00:26

The link doesn't work??? ta liz

Dizzy

Dizzy Report 24 Apr 2007 00:37

http://www.photoexchange.ourgenealogy.co.uk

Dizzy

Dizzy Report 24 Apr 2007 00:37

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr dot co dot uk

Dizzy

Dizzy Report 24 Apr 2007 00:39

keeping calm here... *dot* *co* *dot* *uk* on the end..... GR are stripping the URL

Dizzy

Dizzy Report 24 Apr 2007 09:02

If you have trouble getting the URL just send me a private message. it is http(://)photoexchange(.)ourgenealogy(.)co(.)uk remove brackets

Jane Gateshead Girl

Jane Gateshead Girl Report 24 Apr 2007 09:07

Dizzy I found it straight away - looks like a good idea, when I get a bit more confident may volunteer myself Jane

Chris67

Chris67 Report 24 Apr 2007 15:24

Found it by searching Google top of the list Great idea , will see if i can get to grips with our digital camera before volunteering

Moira

Moira Report 24 Apr 2007 20:01

Nudge

Dizzy

Dizzy Report 25 Apr 2007 13:37

Update! We now have over 100 entries from almost 100 volunteers!

Becky

Becky Report 25 Apr 2007 14:07

I think this is a great idea! I've registered even though I don't have loads of time (or confidence!) I'm sure I'll be able to help in some way.

Dizzy

Dizzy Report 25 Apr 2007 21:30

Any help you can give is appreciated, even if it's a photo of you local church! No area too small! dizzy

Chris in Shropshire

Chris in Shropshire Report 25 Apr 2007 22:56

n for later thanks Chris

RobertH

RobertH Report 15 Mar 2012 11:38

nudge - the site is still active, and helping people!! please do offer some support for your local area!
And a big thank you to all those who have already helped somebody.
Robert