Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

White Gold - Q for OC/Heather?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laura

Laura Report 23 Apr 2007 18:05

Just saw your posts on the other thread and you mentioned the White Gold book about Cornish slaves - just wondering if you could tell me a little more about it? I have lots and lots of Cornish ancestry.... no reason to think any of them were slaves yet, but the book sounds really interesting! Thanks Laura

Ivy

Ivy Report 23 Apr 2007 19:05

Might be this book - see www.amazon*co.uk/White-Gold-Giles-Milton/dp/0340794704

Heather

Heather Report 23 Apr 2007 19:11

Hi there, well the subject came up on Family Tree Forum (another site I and OC frequent) about the recent apologies for the slave traders. I mentioned that long ago I read about African/arab slave traders taking whole villages on the Cornish coasts as slaves back to North Africa. I couldnt remember the details but I knew one village was deserted like the Marie Celeste - apparently the whole village had been in the church and every one of them taken. (It wasnt happening in just Cornwall but all over the coastal areas, including Ireland) I had a google (as we should all do when questioning anything) and found this book called White Gold (and many other references) to slaves taken from the UK. Its very interesting. At one point our country was buying some back at hugely expensive prices. The book is well worth having - Im only partly into it but a lot of the info is based on the accounts of slaves who were lucky enough to have been bought back or managed to escape and get back to England. I bought the book on abebooks secondhand - if you want a book always check out abebooks first. Actually, Im wrong, I got this particular paperback off amazon's second hand dealers on there. Ive just looked on amazon and you can get it for £1.75 plus postage on a few of their second hand dealers.

Laura

Laura Report 16 Feb 2008 18:10

Have oinly just seen this! Thought I would check through my old threads. Heather you must have thought me so rude! I'm really really sorry!

Thanks, will check out the book

Laura
x

Heather

Heather Report 17 Feb 2008 23:57

Didnt notice Laura! But yes, I got the book and it was very interesting.