Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

why would a childs surname change in a census?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane

Diane Report 23 Apr 2007 16:26

I was looking for Hilda M Barrett of yarmouth born 1887 and found her in the 1901 census living with family name Blyth, when I looked into 1891 census she is Hilda M Blyth, her parents names are the same, why would hers change?

Sam

Sam Report 23 Apr 2007 16:37

Well she was definately born Barrett: Name: Hilda May Barrett Year of Registration: 1887 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar District: Yarmouth (1837-1924) County: Norfolk Volume: 4b Page: 21 (click to see others on page) William Blyth and Hannah M Barrett didn't marry until 1891, that's why: View Record Name Year of Registration Quarter of Registration Spouse's Surname District County View Image Harry Barnard 1891 Jan-Feb-Mar Yarmouth (1837-1924) Norfolk >>>>>>>Hannah Maria Barrett 1891 Jan-Feb-Mar Yarmouth (1837-1924) Norfolk >>>>>>>William Blyth 1891 Jan-Feb-Mar Yarmouth (1837-1924) Norfolk William John Blyth 1891 Jan-Feb-Mar Loddon Norfolk Mary Ann C Johnson 1891 Jan-Feb-Mar Yarmouth (1837-1924) Norfolk So it doesn't look like she is actually the daughter of William Blyth. It is just a mistake in 1891 because if you look at the actual image, she is down as Hilda M Barrett but she has been transcribed as Hilda M Blyth. Sam x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Apr 2007 16:38

Probably she was Hannah's child but not William's but later took her stepfather William's surname? Marriages Mar 1891 Barnard Harry Yarmouth 4b 13 Barrett Hannah Maria Yarmouth 4b 13 BLYTH William Yarmouth 4b 13 Johnson Mary Ann C Yarmouth 4b 13 Gwyn

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 23 Apr 2007 16:41

If she was born one name then her parents married, it could mean that she was illegitimate. Her mother could have had her, and then met her future husband later. Vicky

Diane

Diane Report 23 Apr 2007 16:43

thank you so much for that, it is much appreciated Di xx

Sam

Sam Report 23 Apr 2007 16:55

I think this is likely to be Hilda May's father: All Birth, Marriage, & Death ResultsViewing 1-4 of 4 View Record Name Year of Registration Quarter of Registration Spouse's Surname District County View Image >>>>>Charles Henry Barrett 1880 Oct-Nov-Dec Yarmouth (1837-1924) Norfolk >>>>>Hannah Maria Comer 1880 Oct-Nov-Dec Yarmouth (1837-1924) Norfolk James Myerscough 1880 Oct-Nov-Dec Yarmouth (1837-1924) Norfolk Mary Willox 1880 Oct-Nov-Dec Yarmouth (1837-1924) Norfolk On the 1891 census, there are two older children with the surname of Comer. As you can see above, it looks like Hannah Maria Comer married Charles Barratt in 1880, before marrying William Blyth.

Rachel

Rachel Report 23 Apr 2007 16:56

Sam, Are you sure that Hilda M Barrett's mother was not married when she had Hilda? It is possible that Hilda's parents were married, Hilda was born in 1887, the child's father may have died, which would have left the mother in a hard position financially, so she married a Mr Blyth. In these circumstances, children could have kept their first surname, or used the surname of the new father - this has happened in my family tree. I think it might be a good idea to check and see whose names are on Hilda's birth certificate (b1887) - it should show both parents names. It might also be an idea to see if Hannah has been married before - remember, you could marry when you were 16 with parental consent - some even said they were 21 when they were younger than this to avoid parental consent. You could order the marriage certificate between Hannah and Mr Blyth - this should show Hannah's previous surname - and her maiden name of course. Regards Rachel

Sam

Sam Report 23 Apr 2007 17:01

Rachel, I didn't say that Hilda's mother wasn't married, I meant that she wasn't married to William Blyth and that he isn't Hilda's father (I have amended my original post to clear up any confusion). As I have found above, there is an earlier marriage for Hannah Maria Comer to a Charles Barrett and I suspect that he is Hilda's father. There are Comer children listed as son and daughter on the 1891 census which supports this. Hilda hasn't been married to William Blyth, her mother has. Although as you say, definately need to get Hilda's birth certificate to confirm all this. Sam x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Apr 2007 17:15

A possible death for Hannah's husband?? Deaths Jun 1888 BARRETT Charles Henry 48 Yarmouth 4b 17 Gwyn

Karen

Karen Report 4 Aug 2011 19:54

Hilda Barret was the daughter of Charles and Hannah Barrett. However, Charles was not Hannah's only Husband. In 1874, as hannah maria Cooper, she married William Comer (my ancestor). They had 2 children, henry and Florence, before William died some time before 1880. In 1880 Hannah Comer married Charles Barrett and had a further 3 Children: harriett, Arthur and Hilda. following Charles' death, hannah married William Blyth and had 2 more children: Laura and Charles.
I was not uncommon for children to take on he name of their step father, hence is likely that Hilda Barrett was also known as Hilda Blyth. Names did not have to be officially changed so children could be called wha ever they or their parents wanted them to be called.

If you have any futher information about the family and Hannah Maria in particular, I would be interested to hear from you.

Karen

jax

jax Report 4 Aug 2011 20:09

Karen

Welcome to the boards...this is a very old post you could try and contact Diane by clicking on her name and sending a message

If her email address is still the same she will recieve it

jax

jax

jax Report 4 Aug 2011 22:20

Did you not see our replies Pigletspal?

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 5 Aug 2011 20:02

Hello Karen,

It may be worthwhile to put the names you are researching into the Search Trees box above (in the dark green bar) to see if anyone else on this site has them in their tree.

If you find a connection, you can contact the tree owner. Regards. Cx.