Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone from Suffolk, help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 3 Dec 2006 14:52

See below..........

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 3 Dec 2006 14:55

I'm looking for the phonetic spelling of Monewden. I would say 'Monodon' but I bet I'm wrong. I'm trying to find out where one of my lot actually came from. Thanks

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 3 Dec 2006 16:14

what are you actually looking for? When people move away from the town or village they are born in, what is recorded can sometimes be very different to the way its pronounced I live near a village pronounced Cook-noe..guess how its spelled¬

Susan

Susan Report 3 Dec 2006 16:54

If you go to this website, you will see http://www(.)suffolkchurches(.)co.uk/pronunciation.htm remove brackets

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 3 Dec 2006 17:04

Thank you Jess and Sue. The problem is I have an ancestor who isn'tconsistant with his birth place on the census. I have him giving Ottley on one census and Milden on the next. Now if he had meant Monewdon I may be able to take his line back 100 years as I have contact with someone with a documented tree. I get the feeling I won't be able to prove the link though. Why is it my tree is littered with so many Johns and James's?

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 3 Dec 2006 17:20

I live in Hertfordshire and I know how odd some pronounciations round here can be for us newcomers. The only reason it's Hertford is 'cos someone missspelt it in the 1600's (Originally Hartford) There's Tonwell up the road (pronounced tunnel) Barwick(barrick) Of course, I mustn't forget a sprawling town nearby, St Evenage which the locals pronounce Stevenage. Anyway, why can't Theydon Bois be pronounced Teydon Bwah?

wendysTree

wendysTree Report 31 Dec 2007 00:30

Think you find there is an error ottley and milden was a family surname of suffolk essex i have checked this out as ottley is family name of mine

Monewdon Hall is a place in suffolk as well as monewden

Sometimes people gave false info to avoid being moved on etc

Hope you found your missing link or this to help

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 31 Dec 2007 04:27

Monewden SFK - just east of Pettaugh and Crowfield where a lot of my mother's mob come from.
xxxx mick