Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What occupation is a Puddler?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Star

Star Report 9 Nov 2006 08:29

Having found recently found my Great Great Grandad in the 1881 census, it says his occupation was a Puddler....what is it?!!!!

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 9 Nov 2006 08:34

depends in what industry he puddled! (iron puddler?)

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 9 Nov 2006 08:37

Here you go.. Puddler Wrought iron or clay worker - see Iron Puddler & Clay Puddler Marion

Georgina

Georgina Report 9 Nov 2006 08:37

As Jess said it depends on what industry he worked in, my great grandfather was an iron puddler and he worked with melting & remoulding Iron. Puddler - Wrought iron worker Georgina.

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 9 Nov 2006 08:41

Imagine you were filling a mould with red hot liquid iron. I belive a puddler sort of did what ever he did with a tool of some sort (puddling stick maybe) to get air bubbles out, and make sure the iron had flowed into everywhere it should. Sorry, do you see what i mean?

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 9 Nov 2006 08:44

Found this The Puddling Process In 1784 Henry Cort devised a method of producing wrought iron from cast iron using a Coal fired Reverbatory Furnace. Solid Cast Iron was heated within an enclosed furnace. A Reverberatory Furnace is a long low structure built out of fire bricks. The coal fire was at one end with the hearth between the fire and the chimney. The hearth was slightly dished with a roof that directed the smoke and flame from the fire well above the iron. By keeping the smoke and flame above the iron, no carbon from the fire came in contact with the iron. Solid Pig (Cast) Iron was heated vigorously in the hearth until it was all molten. The fire was then damped down and the iron stirred so as to bring as much as possible in contact with the air. As wrought Iron has a higher melting point than Cast Iron, if the temperature in the furnace was correct the iron began to solidify as the carbon was removed. Eventually the Wrought Iron could be worked into a single lump of iron in the centre of the Hearth. Although in theory this was Wrought Iron it was not usable in this form because of the slag within the lump. For the Wrought Iron to be made usable, it was lifted from the furnace and forged using a 'Shindling Hammer'. Finally it was rolled into bars or sheet. As most of the slag was squeezed out of the iron under the Shindling Hammer this could be a dangerous job, with each drop of the hammer white hot slag would be strayed out across the forge. As the workmen had to hold and move the iron during the forging, there was no option other than for them to dress in heavy protective clothing. An improvement to Cort's puddling process came from Joseph Hall in 1816. Hall added mill scale (iron oxide formed and broken off during the forging and rolling) to the Cast Iron at the start of the Puddling process. Once the iron had melted, the carbon monoxide formed by the mill scale bubbled up through the iron giving the impression of boiling, thus the common name for this refinement 'Pig Boiling'. Marion

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 9 Nov 2006 14:50

.... and there's me thinking it was somerthing my mum's dachshund puppy does!

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 9 Nov 2006 16:16

LOL Paul

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 9 Nov 2006 16:39

PMSL Paul

Kate Shaw

Kate Shaw Report 9 Nov 2006 17:47

Thanks for the info - I've got a puddler in my tree too - although in 1 census he was a paddler instead!! Kate