Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old time London music hall performers - anyone got

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katharina

Katharina Report 4 Jul 2006 09:12

There is a family story that my 3xg grandad was a 'performer' of sorts in the old music halls in London. The story goes that 'Ronnie' Chase (his pseudonym, his real name being John James Chase) played the bones, the spoons, and performed monologues such as 'Nell, Nell, she fell down the well' and 'The Spaniard that blighted my life'! Yes, all very specific details I know (from the mouth of an eccentric great aunt), but no real proof. What I do know is that John James Chase was born in 1828 in Shoreditch, married in 1851, and died in 1880 in the German Hospital, Dalston (London) as a result of 'violent fracture of the skull - accidental'. My question is, does anyone know where I can go for information on the music halls of the mid 1800s in London? I know he wouldn't have been too famous or anything, but surely there are old newspapers or playbills or things that have info about who did what when etc.? Anyone know of anything that could help? Thanks! Katharina :-)

Jack

Jack Report 4 Jul 2006 10:00

If you Google 'London Music Halls', choose the one that says 'The Hiss and Boo Company' and it will give you some tips on finding info. Jack

Heather

Heather Report 4 Jul 2006 10:13

My nan used to play piano in Music Halls, she had tons of programmes etc in her flat when she died. Is there nothing like that left from this chap? Do ask now as in 18 months time elderly auntie will suddenly say, I didnt know you wanted them.

Zoe

Zoe Report 4 Jul 2006 10:21

try contacting the Theatre Museum (you can get their website by googling)

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 4 Jul 2006 13:12

Maybe the actor's union Equity could help.

Zoe

Zoe Report 4 Jul 2006 13:16

Equity (which is the actors union) wasn't set up until 1930 so I doubt they'd be able to help Zoe

Louise

Louise Report 4 Jul 2006 13:23

HI Katharina I have an ancestor who was a Chairman at a Musical Hall (on his daugther's birth certificate in 1869). I have not been able to find out much apart from the fact that there were different 'levels' of music hall. The posh sort, fully acceptable, the middle sort where most 'respectable' people would go and the 'low' sort where the labourers etc would probably go. They started out as small acts in public houses and grew from there. There are some interesting articles written c. 1880-90's that you can find by googling. Good luck in your hunt. Regards Louise

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 4 Jul 2006 13:28

One of my Great Great Aunts was a 'famous stage whistler' LOL! I managed to track down a little information in the local archives. OC

Katharina

Katharina Report 7 Jul 2006 08:11

Thanks so much to all that replied, I now have a lot of leads to check out! You guys are fantastic, your help is very much appreciated, so thank you. I'll certainly post again if I find anything. Katharina PS. Unfortunately there is no physical evidence that this guy was ever 'on the stage', only stories from the great aunt (who heard them from her uncle before he died about 30 years ago). It's worth checking out though - that's the secret to good genealogy I reckon, check out every possible lead, no matter how small!

Karl

Karl Report 3 Oct 2013 13:53

Hi Katherina,
i was just beginning to look for JJ Chase online myself, when I found your two posts (this one & on ancestry)
Did you find him yet ?
I was with your great aunt (Gwen) on Monday, and we talked about music hall & families etc.
I know she would love to know anything you could tell her about him...
best wishes,
Karl :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Oct 2013 20:18

Welcome to the boards Karl -

As katherina last posted on this thread in 2006, she may not realise you have added to it.

Try sending her a PM (personal message) by clicking on her name. If she still has the same email address and is an active user of the computer, she will be informed that you are trying to contact her.

Good luck

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 4 Oct 2013 09:46

One of the best places is The Stage magazine, especially for the lower ranking artistes.

I have 2 and although I have found lots in The Stage and a couple of court cases, he was very litigious! Very little else.

The Stage is accessable via the Newspaper Archives.

Eileen

Eileen Report 4 Oct 2013 16:39

My sister was married to Little titch's son and I googled the name in and got loads of info up.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 Oct 2013 15:27

Little Titch was very famous hence the amount of info when googling

But sadly that vast majority of those who trod the boards never became that famous and finding anything at all about them is truly difficult.