Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coroners Report. Help Please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lee

Lee Report 26 Jun 2006 11:36

I think my Uncle was KIA in 1940 by a bomb in Nottingham. does any one know if there would have been a coraners report on this to which i can get access, or would a death cert give me the same info. thanks peeps.

Merry

Merry Report 26 Jun 2006 11:47

You would need to get the death cert first as this would tell you whether they had been an inquest etc etc. If the coroner did make a report it may well not have survived and if it has, there's a 75 year (I think??) closure period on them. Usually I would say investigate local newspaper reports and you still might get lucky that way, but during the war not everything was reported in detail (so as not to knock the morale of the average person!), so don't get your hopes up too much. Merry

Merry

Merry Report 26 Jun 2006 11:48

Is he on the Commonwealth War Graves Site? Merry

Lee

Lee Report 26 Jun 2006 11:51

I dont know Monty, this is all new to me, a bit naive when it comes to this side of genealogy.

Merry

Merry Report 26 Jun 2006 11:58

What was his name, and I'll have a look........ Merry

Lee

Lee Report 26 Jun 2006 12:00

monty i will pm you on this.

Merry

Merry Report 26 Jun 2006 12:00

OK Merry

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 26 Jun 2006 12:04

hiya, you could try the 'nottingham evening post' it may have details of bombing, try googling the paper Julie

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 26 Jun 2006 12:06

hiya try this www*thisisnottingham*co*uk replace * with dots Julie

Merry

Merry Report 26 Jun 2006 12:12

Good idea, Julie.......Lee, you will need the death cert for the date of death first! Merry

Lee

Lee Report 26 Jun 2006 12:19

ok kind people, get death cert, and check newspapers, good advice thank you.......

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 18 Oct 2007 16:53

Not sure if you're still checking this site for updates, and I don't know if this info will be useful to you as it's not actually what you've asked, but do you know about the Bygones paper?

This is the best place to find out info on the history of Nottingham and particularly things like the bombings. They might know more. Why not contact the Bygones history newspaper that's published monthly here in Nottingham. You never know they may have done the research already!

They've done loads of artivles covering the entire publication. They include lots of letters, interviews with survievors and use archive photos and current photos in the paper.

I've no doubt they are the best place to contact for missing details about significant events in Nottingham over the centuries!!

Best of luck in your search.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 18 Oct 2007 17:49

Bygones did an issue on the war recently - I have a copy of it. If you want me pm me his name, then I'll have a look.