Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does any one know.....maybe the Aussies out there?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 24 Jun 2006 02:40

I have a death certificate for my aunt who was killed in a cliff fall accident in 1961 Australia, but I want to find out if there was a newspaper article or anything else related to it. I did try contacting the local paper but have heard nothing back. Does anyone know what other info there might be, where to find it etc? Gypsyjoe

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 24 Jun 2006 02:41

P.S I'm not in Australia at the moment and don't know when I will be

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 24 Jun 2006 02:47

Hi Gypsy, I could help you to find a newspaper article. There is State Library where there are some newspaper microfilms. Where and what date did she die? What was her name? Regards, Steven.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 24 Jun 2006 03:04

Thanks Steven Her name was Sonia Elizabeth Foley and died in Warriewood, Sydney, NSW on the 4th of April 1961. Thanks Gypsyjoe

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 24 Jun 2006 03:17

Hi Gypsyjoe, okay I will check it next week for you.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 24 Jun 2006 06:03

Thanks Steven. Gypsyjoe

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 24 Jun 2006 06:07

Can't see anything straight off. Will look again later. Did she die in NSW? The only Sonia Foley death I can find on BDMs is 1962. Parents George and Marion.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 24 Jun 2006 06:41

Yes Elizabeth she did die in NSW. I'm sure I mentioned I have the death certificate I'm after any other info that would or might be around for it. The one you found with George and Marion is her. Her father was refered to as George even though his name was Albert. I had some trouble finding her at first for that reason, I was looking for the father as Albert. Gypsyjoe

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 24 Jun 2006 09:32

I just wanted to check the year. I'll keep my eyes open now.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 24 Jun 2006 20:05

Thanks Elizabeth. It would have been nice for the paper to get back to me. Gypsyjoe

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 27 Jun 2006 09:49

Hi Gypsyjoe, today I did look up newspaper in Melbourne's State Library for you. Unfortunately, I could not find any articles of your aunt, Sonia Foley, also nothing in Death notices. It was from 4 April 1962 to 9 April in Sydney Morning Herald. I am sorry I could not help you. I hope someone from Sydney could help you. Regards, Steven.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 30 Jun 2006 14:03

Thanks anyway Steven Gypsyjoe

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 30 Jun 2006 14:16

From http://www.sag.org.au/ozsources/inquest.htm : New South Wales Inquest records survive and are publicly available from 1796 to 1963. From 1940 to 1963, the inquest papers are accessible at the Western Sydney Records Centre of State Records located at 143 O'Connell Street, Kingswood, NSW.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 30 Jun 2006 15:04

Western Sydney Records Centre contact details here: http://www.archivists.org.au/directory/data/467.htm

Bill

Bill Report 1 Jul 2006 00:08

> Warriewood The 'local' newspaper for that area of Sydney is the 'Manly Daily', and its is quite likely it would have carried something in the news section about a cliff death. You might want to contact the Manly Warringah & Pittwater Historical Society Inc - http://www.kween.net/mw&phs/ - as they should be able to advise you where achival copies of the Daily are available, and perhaps arrange a look up for you. Cheers, Bill Sydney, Australia

Valerie

Valerie Report 1 Jul 2006 06:44

Hi there, The NSW State Library has an excellent 'Ask a Librarian' service (free). ('Google' will show you.) Just complete the 'Enquiry' form -on-line- and they will find the info for you. (they even post photo-copies out to you -worldwide). Valerie WA

Pamela

Pamela Report 17 Feb 2008 11:21

Hi Joe, Just found this enquiry while searching for my Foleys.
I recently went searching in South Australia for my husbands Great Great Granfathers death, found out he died in a rail accident, couldn't find anything in Papers, but State Library suggested I try Police Gazette (for hisdeath) and Bingo, there it was , so you could perhaps try this You will need exact date of death. Hope this helps, Pamela