Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is Jas short for another name?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pain

Pain Report 12 Jun 2006 15:15

I have found a relative mentioned in a will and his first name is Jas. Does anyone know if this is a proper name or a shortened version?

Dea

Dea Report 12 Jun 2006 15:17

James. Dea x

Heather

Heather Report 12 Jun 2006 15:18

Jas is for James Chas is for Charles

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 12 Jun 2006 15:33

I have a Jas as well, and he was really a James. PS Someone else has suggested Jason, too.

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jun 2006 16:02

Jas = James Jos = Joseph Thos = Thomas Chas = Charles Robt = Robert Wm = William

CanadianCousin

CanadianCousin Report 12 Jun 2006 17:25

I've also seen Rd = Richard

Caroline

Caroline Report 12 Jun 2006 19:23

I thought it was short for Jasper originally but have since found it to be James Caroline

Anne

Anne Report 12 Jun 2006 20:10

Jno = John Hy = Henry Anne

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 12 Jun 2006 21:16

Caroline Jasper is an unusual name and is normally written in full. Standard abbreviations apply only to common CHRISTIAN names (i.e. names approved by the Established Church, usually those which can be found in the New Testament, with names of Monarchs grudgingly also approved by the Church. Some old Testament names were approved by the more liberal Clergy in the C of E, but generally, if its an Old Testament name, I start looking for Nonconformists.) OC

Pain

Pain Report 13 Jun 2006 09:28

Thankyou everyone for your replies. I think it must be James as there is one in my family. The shortened versions of some names dont seem to make sense do they. I expect this can sometimes make tracing your family difficult.

RStar

RStar Report 13 Jun 2006 09:59

Anyone know what Jin might be short for?! (Male)

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 13 Jun 2006 12:18

Rebekah If you found this in a Parish Register, could it be J'n? If so, its either John or Jonathan, but they should have been written Jno (John) Jono,Jona (Jonathan. Didnt make it easy, did they? OC

Merry

Merry Report 13 Jun 2006 12:29

Are some of the standard abbreviations derived from the Latin spellings? (Does anyone know?) Otherwise abbreviating John seems hardly worth bothering (to Jno), but if you were abbreviating Johannes that would seen a saving on ink! I know these churchmen liked to show off their Latin knowledge and would also write cryptic notes in the register in Latin, knowing non of the hoi-polloi would be able to read it! Merry

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 13 Jun 2006 12:42

Yes Merry, you are right - standard abbreviations were culled from the Latin, at a time when pen, ink and paper were in short supply!! Jno (for John~) is written in the very early registers as Jn - and then a tiny little 'o' up in the air - sometimes looks like a full stop, depending how crabbed the Vicar's writing was. Jas comes from the Latin JAcobuS Jos from JOSephus (Joseph) - also sometimes written Jospeh - no, this is not a mistranscription, but a complete mystery as to why they did this! Ralph/Rad - from Radolphus Rand/Randalph - from Randolphus I think the rest are self explanatory. Josh - an attempt to distinguish Joshua (which doesnt have a Latin equivalent, as far as I know?) (Sorry, cant get rid of that huge gap for some reason!) OC

Paul

Paul Report 10 Aug 2017 18:43

Have read all replies here and yet my"Jas"turns out to be a"Joseph"as shown here below:
1)
Name: Hannah Buckley
Event Type: Baptism
Birth Date: 28 May 1797
Baptism Date: 25 Jun
Baptism Place: Rowde, Wiltshire, England
Father: Jas Buckley
Mother: Mary Buckley
2)
Name: Hannah Buckley
Christening Age: 0
Birth Date: 28 May 1797
Christening Date: 25 Jun 1797
Christening Place: Rowde, Wiltshire, England
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Map:
View this parish
Father: Joseph Buckley
Mother: Mary Buckley

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Aug 2017 20:41

Welcome to the boards, Paul.

(This is a very old thread - 2006 - but your answer is none the less valid!)

It could just be a mistranscription, if the handwriting on the original was difficult to decipher.

EDIT:
Yes, I've looked at it now, and the original is clearly Jos - so the transcriber misread it.