Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help !! ... Scottish first name .... :-))

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2006 23:16

Can anyone please tell me if *Dolina* is a Male or Female name please ??........ Elaine ;-))

Kate

Kate Report 9 Jun 2006 23:21

Seems to be female, judging by the 'Dolina Munro' entries on Family Search, anyway. Kate.

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2006 23:23

No ! Got it from a Marriage in 1897. Dolina was a witness ... I origionally thought it said DolVia but ... Have checked the 1881 census and there are NO results for Dolvia but there are 30 results for Dolina !! I am presuming that Dolina is a brother or sister of the bride and just wondered which !! ? Elaine ;-)

Keptin

Keptin Report 9 Jun 2006 23:23

Hi. Are you sure its Dolina and not Donaldina? Either way I'd say it's a female name especially if she is the oldest sibling as the first born child would probably be named after the fathers father, it could be a variation on Donald. Thomasina, willamina, Johnina, so on. H.

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2006 23:24

Cheers Kate ! ....... Glad I reread your post !! Blimey Hilary, that narrows the field down abit ... lol :-)))) Elaine ;-))

Kate

Kate Report 9 Jun 2006 23:24

Sorry, I replaced my reply after looking on Family Search - it looks as if it is a female name. Kate

heavenlycat

heavenlycat Report 10 Jun 2008 19:27

would have thought female because of the lina bit

Carol

Carol Report 10 Jun 2008 20:04

Yes, Dolina is Scottish,as is Donaldina, Colina,and even Angusinna!!!! Inventive, but there's just something not quite right somehow.

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 10 Jun 2008 21:10

Hi

I have a Scottish ancestor John Stewart who originated in Selkirk but moved to Durham c1760. His place of origin is given in his youngest sons baptism in 1800. His eldest child was called James and his eldest daughter was Isabella. There was a John Stewart born in the right time frame in 1738 in Selkirk and his parents were called James and Isabella so thanks to the Scottish naming pattern I think I have the right baptism if Scottish parents named their eldest son and eldest daughter after their own parents.

Lots of Scots names end in "ina" or "ana" like Christiana.

Ben

mgnv

mgnv Report 12 Jun 2008 05:36

Thanks for the link, Anastasia.
I normally use http://www.whatsinaname.net/ which says:
Anglicised version of Gaelic Dolag, feminine form of Donald. The name is formed by the addition of the Scottish suffix -ina, thus: Dol(ag) + -ina.

Eileen

Eileen Report 16 Jun 2008 00:00

Dolina definately female - IThere are loads of boys names feminised by adding 'ina' In graveyards especially you see it, Angusina - Jamesina - Donaldina - Douglasina etc. I actually know a Dunriona, father was Duncan and mother Catriona........inventive......

William

William Report 3 Jul 2008 01:06

Dolina
A feminine form of Donald, common in Gaelic-speaking areas in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and still in use.
As I am a Gaelic-speaker I KNOW