Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Manassah

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 26 May 2006 17:53

Hi to all you experts out there, does anyone know where the name Manassah comes from. I havent heard of it before and was wondering how it suddenly appeared in my line. First appeared in 1878 as a middle name for Harry Kirkham, Caistor area. Have found that it was also a middle name for his father John from Boston, Lincs, but no other mention anywhere. Could it have been a 'maiden name' for John's mother? Thanks

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 26 May 2006 17:54

It's Biblical (OT). Also spelled Manasseh.

Christine

Christine Report 26 May 2006 17:58

Thanks for that, was hoping it might lead to me another line via marriage but never mind, will have to keep searching. Chris

Vicky

Vicky Report 26 May 2006 18:56

probably a red herring, but a Jewish friend has this surname. I believe it was the name of one of the ancient tribes of Israel.

Susan

Susan Report 19 May 2012 04:34

Dear Christine,
Manasseh appears at least twice in my family tree. My Great Great Grandfather was Manasseh Hayes b. 1824. Another relative also had this Christian name.
Manasseh was one of the 12 tribes of Israel and mentioned in the Old Testament