Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Asking very big favour, please, re census images

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 20 Apr 2006 21:30

See below

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 20 Apr 2006 21:30

I went to the funeral this afternoon of an elderly friend, who was buried in a family plot. The earliest burial in the grave was Eliza Sowan, who nobody had heard of. I've been asked by the family to find out who she was. That bit was easy, now I'm trying to find out about the family. William Sowan was born in Hexham in 1836, according to most censuses. In 1871 he is in Plumstead In 1878 he marries Eliza In 1881 he is at 36 Warwick St Lambeth, with Eliza and baby son John RG11/0058/53 In 1891 he is in Lambeth, with Eliza, John and Mary In 1901 he is in Battersea (giving age as 66 and birthplace St Shields, Northumberland) with Eliza & John Would someone be prepared to email the four census images to me, so I can forward them on? And can anyone find William on any earlier censuses? The story goes that the surname originated with a foundling, which might explain why there are so few of them. He might be mistranscribed as Lowes in 1851, but I'm not convinced. Any help gratefully received. Thank you.

Heather

Heather Report 20 Apr 2006 21:57

Bren, of course Ill mail them to you - pm me your email I cant find him earlier at the mo. I spose its a good name to mishear though.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 20 Apr 2006 22:15

Thank you very much, both of you. Heather, I've pm'd you.

Heather

Heather Report 20 Apr 2006 22:27

Sent

Arran

Arran Report 19 Apr 2012 17:31

Hi ,
Sorry to bother you but I came across your query whilst searching through for related articles with ' Lowes ' in the thread & GR led me to believe there were 175 threads but low & behold there isn't but saw your request & found the record below & wondered if it is a relation of the lady you were searching for details of her family etc ?

Birth Record Name Elizabeth O Sowan
Year of Registration 1959
Quarter of Registration Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration District Wandsworth
Registration County London
Mother's maiden name Dodd
Volume Number 5D
Volume Page 1109

Regards,
Arran Clyde Lowes :-)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Apr 2012 18:22

I doubt if Phoenix is still a member as they have no posts again their name

Plus this thread is dated 6 years ago

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 20 Apr 2012 13:25

Hi Arran

Thank you for your reply. Sadly, the person who was interested in this family died a year or two back.

Joy

Joy Report 20 Apr 2012 14:13

Good to see you, Phoenix :)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 20 Apr 2012 16:06

Hello Arran,

If you are specifically looking for possible connections on this site, the best thing to do is to put the names you are researching into the Search Trees box above to see if anyone has them in their tree.

If you find a connection, you can contact the tree owners.

Also, if you would like help with your research, why not start a thread of your own. There are plenty of members willing to help you. Take a look at the Help Clinic - above left - for further information.

Cx.