Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1851 Census...Thanks everyone!!.......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merry

Merry Report 2 Apr 2006 21:43

can anyone read the place of birth for my 3xg-grandfather?? HO107/1944 Folio: 600 Page: 16. Name: John Mitchell aged 55. Born Oxfordshire..........?????????????? Where???? Maybe the county is wrong? Can YOU read that place name???!! He died in 1853, so this is my only hope! Merry xx

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 2 Apr 2006 21:48

Witnesin, Oxfordshire, England

Merry

Merry Report 2 Apr 2006 21:49

Yes, but where is that????!!! Merry

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 2 Apr 2006 21:52

sorry can't help there,

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 2 Apr 2006 21:52

Sorry Merry, does look like Witnessin (or whatever it says - I;ve closed that window now) I have one just the same, it looks like Tallyford, but I;ve no idea. These things are sent to test us!!

Joy

Joy Report 2 Apr 2006 21:53

Witney

Merry

Merry Report 2 Apr 2006 21:55

The trouble is, there are John Mitchell's baptised EVERYWHERE (inc Witney!)......I just wondered if someone would have a bout of INSPIRATION and come up with somewhere MIRACULOUS!! LOL I have been looking at this census page for nearly eight years! (not continuously.........) Merry

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 2 Apr 2006 22:02

Gawd,, i HAVE JUST HAD ONE OF THOSE ABSOLUTLEY TERRIFING THOUGHTS, REALISING MERRY AND I ARE TRACING THE SAME NAME! OGH GAWD PRESERVE US! (MINE WERE BERKS THOUGH MERRY ALTHOUGH.....) sorry , caps locks fairy is doing the foxtrot on the key board again jess x

Joan of Arc(hives)

Joan of Arc(hives) Report 2 Apr 2006 22:10

I found this site re old oxford maps : http://www.yourmapsonline.org.uk/ However I am inclined to think when asked, he said 'I am a Witneysian!' So I go along with Joy, Witney ! :0) Joan xxxx

una

una Report 2 Apr 2006 22:16

Hi Merry , Could the original have been written down as Witney in Oxfordshire,but they forgot the space between Witney & in??

Joy

Joy Report 2 Apr 2006 22:20

Yey!! Joan and I go along :-)

Jude

Jude Report 2 Apr 2006 22:22

hi could it say oxfordshire, Ibstone

Joan of Arc(hives)

Joan of Arc(hives) Report 2 Apr 2006 22:25

Lol Joy ! :0) Joan xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Apr 2006 22:44

Merry Though it doesn't look it, I think it does begin with a W - if you look at the beginning of the surname Wright in the same household they are written the same:)

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 2 Apr 2006 22:45

On the page before there's someone b in Wiltshire. The W at the start has the same shape as the start of your chap's birthplace, so I think you're looking at ''Witne...'' Christine

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon)

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 2 Apr 2006 22:48

After studying the image for ages, I agree with previous replies: Enumerator: Where were you born? John: Witney. Enumerator: Where's that? John: Witnesin Oxfordshire. Angela

Merry

Merry Report 3 Apr 2006 11:39

Thank you all for your replies....... Angela. (and the others who suggested similar) I LOVE that!!!!! it really does sound possible!! ''Witney's in Oxfordshire!!!'' LOL I shall be chuckling all day!! Jess........are we related??????????!! LOL Merry

Sheila

Sheila Report 25 Sep 2011 14:12

Did you ever get a definative answer as John is my ancestor too. Sheila Clark Nee Neck