Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do you know Southampton please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda G

Linda G Report 26 Aug 2005 21:12

Anyone know Earls Road, Southampton. One 1901 Census it says 38 Earls Road, Vallers Inn. Does anyone know it and is it still there? Thanks Linda

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Aug 2005 21:20

There's an Earls Road, Southampton on www streetmap co uk - put . in the spaces. nell

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 26 Aug 2005 21:28

What is the name of the person you are checking on the 1901? Earls Road is part of the Portswood area, near St.Deny's railway station. If I look at the actual census, it might make a bit more sense.

Merry

Merry Report 26 Aug 2005 21:28

Linda - who is living there in 1901?? Merry

Linda G

Linda G Report 26 Aug 2005 21:38

Haven't got credits on 1901 census. Just wondered if Vallers Inn was a pub? and if it was still there. Linda

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 26 Aug 2005 21:39

I can check the 1901 for you. Who are you looking for??????????

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 26 Aug 2005 22:00

Is the handwriting clear? Could it be the Valley Inn?

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 26 Aug 2005 23:01

According to Kelly's 1911 Directory (http://www.historicaldirectories.org) at that date the inhabitant was: Mrs Sarah Watts, beer retailer Christine

Linda G

Linda G Report 27 Aug 2005 06:30

Thanks Christine Linda

Michael

Michael Report 15 Nov 2005 21:47

Hi, Sorry this is a bit late, I have just come accross the message. The pub you are reffering to is the Valley Inn. It is at the 'bottom' end of Earls Road, near Bevois Valley. I will take a look for you this week to see if it is still open as a lot of the smaller pubs around Bevois Town area have closed down. Regards, Mick. (ex Bevois Town lad).

doreenp

doreenp Report 10 Aug 2012 18:39

Thought I would add my two eggs I used to live in Southampton and Earls Road was close to Portswood Southampton and close to that was Bevious Valley which may be the Vallers bit you found hope this can be of a little help. But what name are you searching for my maiden name was Watts. Do let me know

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 Aug 2012 20:23

Bevois Valley aka Bevois Town (pronounced as in BEAVER ) is chad HQ of Southampton. The Hobbit pub is beloved of Southampton Uni. students.

Anyway the Valley Inn is still there but now has the moniker "The Guide Dog".

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 10 Aug 2012 20:36

Well, I guess they might just check back here after 7 years and see your updates! :-)

jax

jax Report 11 Aug 2012 14:41

As the OP is still on the boards she may see this......she may not need the info now though :-)