Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What a bonus

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian in Aylesbury

Gillian in Aylesbury Report 16 Apr 2005 15:16

I went to the Aylesbury Records office this morning (first time at any records office) to look at a newspaper article relating to the death of my husbands uncle, John Brion. I was pointed to this article by a very kind researcher from Quainton. While reading the article on film I saw an article in the next column was a memorial to John's Uncle Ernest Bradbury who had been killed the year before aged 32. It reads: IN MEMORIAL BRADBURY - In loving memory of my dear husband Pte Ernest Bradbury, who fell in France near Arras, April 23rd 1917. 'It's not the tears at the moment shed That tell how beloved are the souls that fled But the tears through many a long night wept And the sad remembrance, so fondly kept.' From his sorrowing Wife, Ruth, and Son. There was also a memoriam to Sapper Daniel Warner (Royal Engineers) who also died in 1917 aged 21. He was from Qauinton as well. A small village lost 23 men in WW1. Such a shame, but if people keep researching their trees they will not be forgotten Gill

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Apr 2005 15:35

Gill How exciting for you! I went to Aylesbury last year and got my CARN ticket there. It was a thrill to look at a huge leather-bound book held together with metal clasps and find the settlement dispute over my great great great grandfather Robert Chowns in it! I am hoping to get there again sooooon! I also had a bonus in that my great-grandfather on another branch of the tree, Charles Williams [his son Angus married Robert's great-granddaughter Gladys] had died in Aylesbury. We went to see the address and the house had its build date on it - it was the one in which he died! Angus and Gladys were born in Gloucestershire and Surrey and they married in Kent. nell

Gillian in Aylesbury

Gillian in Aylesbury Report 16 Apr 2005 15:47

Hi Nell I must say that I was impressed with the help given to me at Aylesbury records Office. I now can't wait to take some time off work to delve deeper into my husbands family lines there. Where in Aylesbury was the House ? Gill

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Apr 2005 15:54

Bicester Road. I don't know when they got there or why. I do know that Charles worked in Rendcomb Park (posh house, now a school) as a manservant and that the house was put up for sale in 1913. He died in 1924 in Bicester Road. nell

Gillian in Aylesbury

Gillian in Aylesbury Report 16 Apr 2005 15:57

Thanks Nell Thats not very far from me. Gill

Paula

Paula Report 16 Apr 2009 21:08

I was glad to see good vibes about Bucks record office, it looks so cave-like since it moved from the big, airy library! Very interesting to read about the Memorial. Those young men really were heroes, weren't they?

I lived in Bicester Road as a child - happy days! Paula