Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LOCAL NEWS PAPER FROM 1881 TO PRESENT DAY

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 9 Apr 2005 12:07

IN THE GRAYS, ESSEX LIBRARY YOU CAN LOOK AT THE THURROCK GAZETTE IT DATES BACK TO 1881 TO PRESENT TIME.THEY ARE ON REELS OF FILM. I CAME ACROSS MY GT, GT GRANDFATHER 1881, HE HAD NOT SENT THEIR CHILDREN TO SCHOOL.THE LIBRARYIS IN THE THAMESIDE THEATRE.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 9 Apr 2005 12:46

This is true for a number of larger local libraries - especially the Local Studies type. I found records of my family's C20 funerals in the Leamington Spa library (on film). Funeral accounts (when detailed) are an excellent source of family tree info: if someone attended the funeral: ...then they must still have been alive themselves - no point looking for death records any earlier. ...they may well be described by their relationship to the deceased person. ...you can know then that the females were/not married by then and, if they were married, you have an idea of the name of the husband. and so on - and possibly children. There may also be an obituary, giving an idea of the life-path of the deceased person. Christine