Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Could the Index be wrong?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susanne

Susanne Report 9 Apr 2005 11:52

I have my GGGrandfather Luke GARRETT living in Finsbury, St Mary's, Islington in 1861, by 1871 he has died. I have searched through every year from and including 1861-1871 for his death without any success. I did, however, find a death in December quarter of 1864 for a Luke GARRELL registered in Pancras. Is it possible that the index is wrong and that this is luke GARRETT? If so, how would I go about ordering the cert? If I put GARRELL and the name on the cert is GARRET, will GRO still send it or will they charge me the £3.00 checking fee and tell me it's wrong? Sue:-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Apr 2005 11:54

Yes its possible the original handwritten record the ts weren't crossed. I would phone and see what the GRO suggest. It's possible the original cert has Garrell instead of Garrett too, which is why the index is incorrect. nell

Susanne

Susanne Report 9 Apr 2005 11:56

Thanks Nell, I will phone them and see what they say. Sue:-)

Susanne

Susanne Report 9 Apr 2005 12:26

Hi, Just phoned GRO and they were extremely helpful. She agreed with Nell that the name could still be GARRETT even though the index says GARRELL, she also said that the cert may also appear as GARRELL even if it is the correct person due to the way things were written at the time. She has made a note on the order to say that the cert may show either name and also made a note of his approximate age. Now I will just have to wait and hope. Jenny, I am glad you said that they still sent the cert even though the page number was wrong. I placed an order the other day for a cert and even though I looked up the ref number myself, I still had doubts about the page number. At least now I know they should still send the cert. Sue:-)

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 9 Apr 2005 12:31

My g-grandfather's birth-name (1863) was (type-)listed as 'William Cherlee Lancaster', but I applied for it anyway. The cert actually says 'William Charles Lancaster', which was what I expected. I am inclined to apply for a birth-cert from early 1860s which lists the surname as PRYMM, because I am pretty confident that it's really PRYNN. The transcribers at the times of the original listings were also fallible! Christine