Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

christian name find

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joe

Joe Report 9 Apr 2005 00:12

Hello, I have a marriage certificate for my gt.gt.gt. mother in the hope of finding her fathers christian name.The trouble is it appears to be in some sort of shorthand.The first letter is a capital J followed by a lower case n this is followed by a lower case o but this is above and to the right of the lower case n. does anyone know what name this is short for? Many thanks Joe

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 9 Apr 2005 00:14

Johnathan??????

Janice

Janice Report 9 Apr 2005 00:15

Either John or Jonathan have this as the abbreviation. Janice

Joe

Joe Report 9 Apr 2005 00:18

Many thanks for that Ladies I did not expect such a quick reply.Brilliant . Joe

April

April Report 9 Apr 2005 03:09

If you want a longer & more complicated answer I copied this from Rootsweb Old English Archives April '>I have been under the impression that Jno denoted Jonathon and Jn was >short form for John. Am I wrong? Beth S. This topic comes up relatively often, and each time it does, there is always a host of conflicting, and often incorrect answers. This perpetuates the problem. The abbreviations are based on the Latin version of the name. The definitive list of 'J' names: ABBREVIATIONS Jon = Jonathan Jon + superscript a = Jonathan Jno = Johannes = John ** always ** Joh = John Joh +superscript es = John Jo = John Ioh = John (I always = J in an abbreviation) Jas = Jacobus = James Ja + superscript s = Jacobus = James (also Ja + superscript bus) Jos = Joseph or rarely Josias Josh = Joshua Jos + superscript h = Josiah in other documents: Joh + superscript is = John's (belonging to) Joan + superscript is = John's (not Joan's) The Latin 'J' Names Jacobus = Jacob Jacoba = James (in Scotland = female Jamesina, Jacobina) Jana = Jane, Joan, (in Scotland = Jean) (in Wales = Sian) (in Ireland Sine - pronounced Sheena) Janetta = Janet (in Scotland Jennet) Jeremia/s = Jeremy, Jeremiah Jerominus = Jerome, Jeremy Joanna = Joan Johanna = Joan Joannes = John Johannes = John Johannis = John Ioannes = John Josca = Joyce Josephus = Joseph Josias = Josiah Josua = Joshua Judia = Judy Juditta = Judith Juliana = Jill, Gillian Julianus = Julian (virtually always female) Perhaps you would like to save and print this list, ready for the next time someone asks 'What does Jno stand for'. Cheers Rod'

Joe

Joe Report 9 Apr 2005 10:24

Confused? I soon will be when I have digested that list.But thanks for the time and effort. Joe