Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Storing Data

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

***Flossy

***Flossy Report 8 Apr 2005 15:50

What type of 'form' do you use to store data? Im fairly new to this and am unsure of the best way to record everything I find.

Heather

Heather Report 8 Apr 2005 15:59

I think most of us keep info on a family tree program like Familytreemaker 2005.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 8 Apr 2005 16:00

I have a family tree program on my computer where I store all the names, and their relevant branches. I also have a few folders where I keep all the census details, BMD details and such. I have also put my tree on here, and some other genalogical web sites.

Anne

Anne Report 8 Apr 2005 16:05

There's some downloadable forms on the home page of this site. They are quite useful as well as a good Family Tree programme. I also have a folder for all the bits of paper I accumulate. I have one for each main family branch. The trouble is they inevitably overlap and I have trouble deciding which folder to put them in when they marry!! I know you should keep the woman's maiden name but sometimes it just doesn't seem the right place. Anne

Julie

Julie Report 8 Apr 2005 16:06

Hi Barbara I aslo use Family Tree Maker 2005 , at the mo its still on offer at pc world for £19.99. thats half price. It very easy to use. I still keep paper back up, which i have in folders and also a note note for maybes ect. Goodluck with your paper work, mines a nightmare, computer desk you can't see for paper. Julie

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Apr 2005 17:43

Barbara Everyone has their own 'system'. I am still very paperbased! I have an A4 hardback a-Z book with all relatives names in and the relevant dates/places. I take this with me whenever I do research. You never know when you are going to want to know Gt Aunt Lou's husband's death date! I have 3 large 4-hole punch ring binders for various family branches. In front of them I have an ancestral chart I downloaded free from www lostcousins com. This shows me who's who. Then I have family group sheets and then individual sheets which I got from the Family Records Centre - they do a Getting Started Pack which has lots of blank forms which I've photocopied. I also have forms I designed myself and ran off on the computer. I keep my certificates, newscuttings etc in acid-free clear pockets I bought as a job lot when WHSmith last had a sale. My next task is to start putting all this on a computer programme but I am waiting for a) someone to buy the software for my birthday b) husband to show me how to work our scanner so I can put my precious photos on. nell

***Flossy

***Flossy Report 9 Apr 2005 10:50

Thank you all for your tips on storing everything. Acid free pockets are something I had not considered but obviously very important.......Im off to locate some :) Barb