Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can I pick your brains chaps?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Apr 2005 08:01

I am trying to trace my GGG Grandmother starting from the end and working back. In 1869 St Pancras she married John Hill - her name then was Maria Georgiana Campbell. Then before she married a Peter Campbell 1862 Marylebone - her name then was Georgiana Hall Chantler. Then before she married John Alfred Chantler 1857 Marylebone - her name then Maria Letchford ?. In 51 census it states she is daughter to George Chantler & Maria Rebecca Hall although George is father to John Alfred Chantler. Maria Georgiana was born abt 1837 Kennington - no birth confirmation as yet. I am at my wits end - am really confussed - help! Lin

The Bag

The Bag Report 8 Apr 2005 08:17

so you think she was married three times? In 1869 St Pancras she married John Hill - her name then was Maria Georgiana Campbell. So she became Maria G HILL? married Peter Campbell 1862 Marylebone - her name then was Georgiana Hall Chantler. So she was Maria Cambell, formerly Chandler? married John Alfred Chantler 1857 Marylebone - her name then Maria Letchford ?. In 51 census it states she is daughter to George Chantler & Maria Rebecca Hall although George is father to John Alfred Chantler. Just trying to space out and understand the situation ~Jess~

The Bag

The Bag Report 8 Apr 2005 08:25

What makes you think Maria LETCHFORD is your maria? where does Letchford come in from? Are you saying it looks as tho she married her brother... looks to me that her brother married a Maria letchford and she and your maria are two different people

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Apr 2005 08:33

I don't know where Letchford comes into it. Maria or Georniana and John Alfred Chantler had a son John Alfred b 1858 Gravesend - 1881 spelt Chanter. I can tell you I was gob smacked when I received the marriage cert and found Letchford. You see in 1851 census Maria Georgiana is down as daughter to George & Maria Chantler nee Hall although George & Maria never married until 1867 witness Maria Georgiana Campbell. :( Lin

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 8 Apr 2005 08:37

Surely Maria Letchford could not have married her brother John Alfred Chantler, it's difficult without knowing all the information but maybe enumorator error? Maybe Maria Letchford was a daughter of Maria Rebecca Halls by a previous marriage - then they could marry? Maybe once you find MAria Letchford's birth all will become clear! Not much help but I have tried! Sylvie

The Bag

The Bag Report 8 Apr 2005 08:38

How old was maria in that 1851 census?

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Apr 2005 09:06

14 years of age

The Bag

The Bag Report 8 Apr 2005 09:42

so in 1871 does maria georgiana have a huband called John, and John another wife.. or his he married to a Maria too? i still think there are two pairs here, both husband john with wife maria

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Apr 2005 09:53

1857 Maria Letchford m John Alfred Chantler son John Alfred Chantler b 1858 In 1851 she is known as Maria G Chantler aged 14 No sign in 1861 census 1864 Georniana Maria Chantler m Peter Campbell 1869 Maria Georgiana Campbell m John Hill - his first marriage. Found in 1871 and 1881 - Hill I ordered John Alfred Chantler (son) birth cert and it stated mother Georgiana Chantler formaly Hall her mothers maiden not married name before she married George Chantler. Lin

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 8 Apr 2005 10:03

Maria is Illigitmate daughter of Maria Rebecca, And john who she married is her half brother??? Same mother different father??? or is that too far fetched??

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Apr 2005 10:26

It seems a bit strange this family tale I must admit George Chantler had four sons and a daughter. One of the sons being John Alfred Chantler - mother? never been able to find any of their birth certs, but have accumilated info via census. In all census's it states mother Maria Chantler (She was known as Chantler in census even before she married George in 1867. What I'm thinking is that Maria Rebecca Hall had an illegitimate daughter (Georgiana) but that George Chantler called her his own until she decided to marry John Alfred Chanter Step-Half brother?? Was Georgiana born Maria Letchford (Baseborn) and she dropped all mention of this name because of the stigma?? Lin