Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can't find Andrew Strouvelle 1901

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 7 Apr 2005 22:04

been looking for what seems like years. Andrew Percy Strouvelle b 1875 Kendal Lancs (Westmorland) Been mistranscribed as Stromwelle, Stroucelle, Shonvelle, Stronvelle. etc etc On his birth cert spelt Strouwelle! Need to find him on 1901 census. 1891 is down as just Percy Strouvelle. I have him on 1881 in Croydon and in 1891 as a Lodger in the Strand London. Then he disappears from 1901, I know he didn't die as he came back to see my Grandfather, but rumour has it he went to Liverpool? Ihave his birth cert and father's details, but no sign on 1901...... Any help appreciated as eyes now squiffy....Thankyou Kim

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Apr 2005 22:20

Sorry, I can't find him either. Kath. x

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 7 Apr 2005 23:04

was he married to a Lydia as I found a Lydia Strouvelle in 1901 living on her own widowed age 48 in st dunstans road

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Apr 2005 23:35

The birth record is; Strouwelle, Andrew Percy 1875 September Births Kendal Lancashire Westmorland so I think Lydia might be his mother: Huxley, Harriet 1874 September Marriages Cambridge (1837-1935) Cambridgeshire Lincoln, William John 1874 September Marriages Cambridge (1837-1935) Cambridgeshire Ross, Lydia 1874 September Marriages Cambridge (1837-1935) Cambridgeshire Strouwelle, John Peter A 1874 September Marriages Cambridge (1837-1935) Cambridgeshire Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Apr 2005 23:44

I'm more confident about Lydia being the mother. The 1881 set is: Ada M. Stromwelle abt 1878 Torquay, Devon, England Daughter Croydon Alexander Stromwelle abt 1833 Rhenish (For), Preußen Head Croydon Alexander Stromwelle abt 1881 Croydon, Surrey, England Son Croydon Andrew P. Stromwelle abt 1876 Kendal, Westmorland, England Son Croydon Lydia Stromwelle abt 1853 Grapth...out*, Lancashire, England Wife Croydon * I reckon it says Graythwaite. And I reckon the image says Strouvelle - the name has been Anglicised between the marriage and the census. Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 7 Apr 2005 23:48

There are these records: Strouvelle, John Peter A 1889 June Deaths St George Hanover Square London Surrey (age 55) STROUVELLE, Reginald Grahame 1901 June Births Fulham Greater London London Middlesex STROUVELLE, Wilfred A 1909 March Marriages Guildford Surrey So that shows the death of the father. Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 8 Apr 2005 00:09

This is them in 1891: Stronvelle, Frederick H 3 Croydon, Surrey Son Croydon Surrey Stronvelle, Ida M 13 Lorqucy, Devon Or Devonshire Daughter Croydon Surrey Stronvelle, Lydia 34 Madehurst, Westmoreland Head Croydon Surrey Stronvelle, Wilfred A 10 Croydon, Surrey Son Croydon Surrey Wilfred appears in 1901: B Shonvelle 19 Croydon, Surrey, England Visitor Croydon Surrey Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 8 Apr 2005 00:17

I haven't spotted him yet. I put the other results in case they help someone else find him for you. There aren't any with those names on CWGC. And I couldn't see the name on the Asplin site, but Away Soldiering/at Sea might be an explanation. Christine

Ken

Ken Report 8 Apr 2005 00:38

I reckon this is Frederick 1901 Name: Frederick Harold Strouselle Age in 1901: 13 Estimated birth year: abt 1888 Relation: Pupil Household: View other family members Gender: Male Where born: Croydon, Surrey, England Civil parish: Slough Ecclesiatical parish: Upton St Mary County/Island: Buckinghamshire Country: England

Kim

Kim Report 8 Apr 2005 09:41

Thankyou all for your help. Yes I know the youngest 2 boys went to an orphanage after their father died , but not able to find Andrew still on 1901. Never mind perhaps he did sign up, the others certainly went into the Army. Thankyou all for looking though! Reginald is Ida's illegitimate son and Wilfred is my Grt Grandfather , but cannot find what happened to Andrew, and he's a bit of a mystery to rest of family too. You are very helpful. Kim

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 8 Apr 2005 12:21

The evidence of the Army service is on Docs online: Medal card of Strouvelle, Wilfred A Corps: Royal Field Artillery Regiment No: 148222 Rank: Gunner 1914-1920WO 372/19 Medal card of Strouvelle, Frederick Harold Corps: Royal Field Artillery Rank: Lieutenant... 1914-1920WO 372/19 But there don't seem to be any other Strouvelle/Strouwelle records there. Christine

Kim

Kim Report 8 Apr 2005 19:48

Thankyou Christine, didn't realise that the Records were online. And have wasted £3.50 now as they were both on the same image! Silly me should have read it first properly. Thanks for the info most interesting, Wilfred lost his left Arm in the 1st world war... Kim

Kim

Kim Report 8 Apr 2005 20:05

Julie , many thanks for your email... where do you get the info from? Cheers Kim

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 8 Apr 2005 23:16

If I'd thought, I might have looked at the reference and warned you of that. I know, when you see something exciting, it's tempting to go for it first and then look at the detail afterwards! If there's anyone else in your family doing Tree work, at least you could pass on the image with an absolutely clear conscience, having paid twice! good hunting! Christine