Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

4 year old lodger???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann-Marie

Ann-Marie Report 7 Apr 2005 21:03

why would a 4 year old be living as a lodger? I have an Abraham Brooks living with George and Sophia Broadway in the 1851 warks census, also there is a Mary Stean living with John and Ann Friswell in case anyone's been looking for her

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Apr 2005 21:19

Same reason as anyone else - presumably mum/dad or someone else paid for her to stay there. nell

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Apr 2005 21:20

could be a foster child?? Ann Glos

Ann-Marie

Ann-Marie Report 7 Apr 2005 21:35

thanks jus thought it was a bit odd havin soneone that small lodging, maybe my great gran was a lodger 2 when she was 4 n thats why I cant find her.

Heather

Heather Report 7 Apr 2005 21:48

I found an ancestor aged 4 living with his aunt and uncle (I assume the parents died - East London 1860's)- in the next census poor little devil was shown as a lodger in non relatives house (there were other lodgers) and working as a messenger boy. Breaks your heart, doesnt it.

George

George Report 7 Apr 2005 21:58

sometimes workhouses & orphanages boarded children out George