Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where in Suffolk would I find

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 7 Apr 2005 09:52

Suffolk County Bts? I have marriege of Levi Plummer there in 1817 but I don't know what Bts means. TIA Peter

Chris

Chris Report 7 Apr 2005 09:57

BTs are Bishop's Transcripts. Once a year the Bishop was sent a transcript of entries in the parish registers. These can be useful as they sometimes survive where parish registers may not have done. Copies of BTs are held on microfilm at the Suffolk Record Office - I'm not certain whether all 3 SROs have all BTs for the whole county. They are not easy to search, altough if you have the year you are at a distinct advantage. They are organised alphabetically by deanery and then by parish. It would be much easier if you had an idea of which parish to look in (e.g. from census). Hope this helps, Chris

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 7 Apr 2005 10:01

Thanks - hadn't thought of Bishops Transcripts. The info came from the IGI - I would have thought that they would have listed the parish - first tome I have come across Bts Peter

Joy

Joy Report 7 Apr 2005 10:05

It means Bishops Transcripts ... beyond that I am not too sure other than they were the transcripts that were sent by the vicar to the bishop. :-) Joy

Chris

Chris Report 7 Apr 2005 10:08

Just re-read your message and realised it's a marriage you're searching. Give me an idea which part of the county and I may have the marriage index for that area. Chris

Joy

Joy Report 7 Apr 2005 10:10

Have just nudged a Suffolk website for you. :-) Joy

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 7 Apr 2005 11:09

Thanks Chris The marriage is Levi Plummer to Mary Ann Baker, according to IGI 20/11/1817 at Suffolk County Bts. They had a son John, b 16 8 1821 bap 10/9/1821 in Bury St Edmunds. He was allegedly born in Stanton. Any help gratefully received. John went to Tasmania with the 95 th regt and ended up in new Zealand in 1858. He married in Tasmania. (If it is the same John!!!) Peter

Chris

Chris Report 7 Apr 2005 11:35

Thought I was going to have to disappoint you, but finally, on the last fiche: Levi PLUMMER of Gt Ashfield m Mary Ann BAKER at Wetherden 20th Nov 1817 Also, on same date, at same church: John PLUMMER of Gt Ashfield m Elizabeth BIRD Hope this helps, If you need other help with your John , let me know, I'll see what I can do. Chris

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 7 Apr 2005 19:39

Thanks Chris - now all I have to do is tie the lot together! Your time and effort is really appreciated. Peter