Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help with familysearch - IGI individual record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janice

Janice Report 6 Apr 2005 20:43

Hi I am just new to all this and have come across names on the family search site................ At the bottom of the page it gives a batch no., sheet no and source call no Can anyone help me as to what i do next, thanks again janice

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Apr 2005 21:07

Panic! No, its OK. If you click on the source number it will tell you the source of the info. Batch numbers are 2 kinds, C numbers which are baptisms and M numbers which are marriages. If you have a baptism record you can click on the batch number and it will bring up another form. Type in parents' names, then choose British Isles and the right country and county and it should bring up all the children baptised with those parents, an easy way to get siblings. nell

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 6 Apr 2005 21:08

Click on the batch number and it will take you to a second page. Enter the surname of the person you are looking for and it will give you a list of all the matches. You can then select each one to see if they are related to the person you are looking for. e.g if it is a baptism, you can see the other siblings as the births are usually quite close together and you can check the parents. If you do a search on 'google' and enter Hugh Wallis, you can access his IGI site, which is a record of the same entries but you can search by county and then Parish within it. It gives a list of all the churches and dates covered. Very handy for weddings, as it will give the spouses name. Hope this helps.

Helen

Helen Report 6 Apr 2005 21:14

The records in each batch number relate to just that one church. If it was a small village church the 'batch' will cover a large span of years but for major churches there will be several batch numbers each covering a couple of years. It can help you find siblings for your ancestors, for example if you find a baptism record for a name you are looking for, click on the batch number and a new search screen appears. Put in the surname you are looking for and the fathers first name and it will bring up all matching records for that church. There are separate batches for marriages and baptisms. Usually the marriage references begin M and baptisms C.

Janice

Janice Report 6 Apr 2005 22:40

many thanks for replies, unfortunately i did not get anyfurther but at least by finding this i know that my searching is now in wales, they then came to scotland, will just have to try and get a copy of the marraige certificate to find out next generations names but thanks anyway janice