Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can you help find out where they went?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Saffron

Saffron Report 6 Apr 2005 19:36

hi can anyone help? i had a few threads about these rellies a while ago but just ended up more confused than when i started! john (L) anderson, b 22 oct 1856 born saline fife scotland. parents of john: david anderson and margaret livingstone, married 19 march 1853 in saline parish, saline. john is one of 8 children all born in saline. when i checked the igi to search for the other siblings i found a marriage for john with very little info to go on. all i know is he married elizabeth baxter, born in cumberland, england and her parents were david baxter and may or mary dixon. john and elizabeth married on 22 april 1889 in manhattan new york. a few kind people checked the us censuses for them and could find nothing. i dont know where to look now! any ideas?? leanne x

Kate

Kate Report 6 Apr 2005 21:55

This is tricky because he has such a common name. I thought his middle name would help so I looked on the IGI to find out what it was, but he was baptised just as John Anderson! Anyway, if he had a middle name if I were you first I would type his full name into Google and see if it comes up with anything. If he didn't have a middle name after all, do you know for sure if they were living in the USA or just got married there and then came back to Britain? Kate.

Saffron

Saffron Report 6 Apr 2005 22:11

hi kate dont know his middle name, the L is only on the marriage info on the igi. the thing is, i think elizabeth may have moved to the us when she was younger with her family, think i have a possible thanks to kind people from gr 1880 us census fhlf 1255453 na film no T9-1453 page 237C david baxter 53 mary baxter 55 david baxter 12 george baxter 10 (born wisconsin) elizabeth baxter 15 all except george born in england. i know john didnt travel with his family as they're still on the 1881 census in scotland. but as someone pointed out to me new york is a long way to travel from wisconsin, im not sure at all if thats her and family. leanne x

Mark

Mark Report 6 Apr 2005 22:24

this looks like their marriage john l anderson elizabeth baxter 1889 manhattan new york certificate no 4262 elizabeth is written as elizabether good luck

Saffron

Saffron Report 6 Apr 2005 23:10

thanks mark. can i ask where you got that info from? and do you know if i can get certificate? leanne x

Kate

Kate Report 6 Apr 2005 23:13

If you want to check the US censuses yourself on Ancestry.com they are now seemingly doing a pay-per-view trial for $4.95 to view 5 records and you have to use the credits within 2 days. It might be worth it if there is no catch! Kate.

Mark

Mark Report 6 Apr 2005 23:16

the info was off ancestry theres a cert number so you should be able to get a copy dont know where from

Saffron

Saffron Report 6 Apr 2005 23:18

thanks very much kate and mark will check that ancestry trial and see if i can order the cert leanne x