Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

immigrants from germany

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 6 Apr 2005 18:13

hi i wonder if anyone knows where i can get any information about immigrants coming to london in the 1800s thanks chris

Irene

Irene Report 6 Apr 2005 19:25

My gt. grdf was from Germany and I have not been able to find out any details about him. I have tried. Good Luck Irene

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Apr 2005 22:47

Hi My great grandparents also came from Germany. & altho on 1891& 1901 census it states German- English subjects,I ,ve searched for naturlization But they didnt take it. SO no luck with going back on their origin. One Son born in Bradford Yorkshire in 1889,but havent been able to find any records as to when they came there or indeed if they went direct to Bradford on immgration. Good luck with your search Shirley

Joe ex Bexleyheath

Joe ex Bexleyheath Report 6 Apr 2005 22:50

I'll take on your grandfather if you take mine from Lithuania ! Seriously, are you saying that you know NOTHING about him? I take it that you are looking for his German roots not what happened to him in this country. Did he marry an English gal or come here with one made earlier? Have you an idea of his age - when he was born ? and can you tell his surname please ? I have found that German rellies OK once you have identified the town they came from so if you can give a little info perhaps you can then be put on the right road. One other possibility is to ask those close if they have his Registration Book which was issued to most by the Police just after WW1, and that may give just a hint of where his roots may have been and include his parents names.

Ian

Ian Report 7 Apr 2005 08:40

The Anglo German Family History Society (do a Google on this) is a good source of info. on this subject. Hope this helps.