Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How could he marry the same woman twice?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 6 Apr 2005 18:09

I was delighted to actually find a marriage on the ancestry bmd Wooldridge John March qtr 1894 Woolwich Kent Volume 1d page 1459 Even more delighted to see that one of the other tfour people on the page was Lucy Eleanor Bridgen Then I noticed that the second option on the search results was also Wooldridge John Dec qtr 1896 Woolwich Kent Volume 1d page 2059 And also on the page was Lucy Eleanor Bridgen So how could he have married the same woman twice? If the whole page was the same then I could think that it may be simply that the whole thing had been placed in the two quaters. The other people with them on the page are, however, different on each ocassion. How do I tell which is the correct date? Linda

Crista

Crista Report 6 Apr 2005 18:16

Linda, Was he in the army or navy? I've seen a few cases where someone in the army has married twice. Crista

Helen

Helen Report 6 Apr 2005 18:46

I was told soldiers had to prove they were married in order for their wives to receive an allowance when they were posted away from home. Often certs. were lost and it was easier/quicker to marry again than get a replacement.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 6 Apr 2005 19:16

Thank you both, that is brilliant. He was a gunner in the Royal Artillery. This was his second wife. He had previously been in Malta, as his two older children were born there, so maybe he was going overseas again, not taking his family this time. Linda